RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Safe Hex on Server 8 Beta

Joe_Miner

I was planning to install ForeFront on Server 8 for Virus protection -- is that what everyone else is doing?

I was going to use the TechNet instructions

Edited by Joe_Miner

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently the built in Defender is ideal.

How did you enable Windows Defender in Server 8 Beta? I can't find it under programs to call it up and turn it on.

The WinKey in Server 8 Beta appears to just toggle me between the desktop and the Start screen/tiles.

The WinKey in Server 8 Beta appears to just toggle me between the desktop and the Start screen/tiles.

True, just start typing something and the search window will pop up.

Cool, in the Start screen typing in "defender" or "windows defender" yields: No apps match your search; No settings match your search; No files match your search

In the desktop view just typing does nothing that I can tell

What are you using for Anti-Virus in Server8? I can go back to my VM that I installed ForeFront on if need be but I was trying to turn on Defender if its actually a part of Server 8

I'm not testing Server 8 right now, so I can't get in to find defender. You might as well go with Forefront for now. It was easy to get it going.

True, just start typing something and the search window will pop up.

It works the same in all versions of Win8. BTW, it also works in Win7. IMHO, this little trick is one of the greatest efficiency improvements in Windows in years.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      I ended up Installing Forefront on Server 8.

ForeFront 2010 would fail on installation so I installed the older version but it was very strange.

Took me forever to find the CMD prompt -- finally went to the C:\Windows\System32 and dug for the CMD.exe then right clicked on it to open it as an Administrator.

You can also get to CMD.EXE (Command Prompt) from the Server Manager =>Tools =>System Configuration=> Tools Tab=> scroll down to Command Prompt => Launch

installed with the command in the Client\x64 folder:
      In the Command Prompt window, change to the location of the Client Security Client folder, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      clientsetup.exe /NOMOM
      Then went to windows update (after earlier changing it to all Microsoft products) and did the update.

The update went well and it installed then it dissapeared from my service tray on the lower right but it is listed as running in the Services Window -- I just don't know how to open it now!

I used the technique Paul & I discussed in a Forum thread started by PCDoc:
      http://homeserversho...us/page__st__40

Awwww, Just do a Server reboot and the Forefront Icon is where it should be -- a big green happy check mark!
    • SikSlayer
      By SikSlayer
      First off, I should say I love the podcasts, been listening since day one, but never bothered to join the forums, or the live show chat (except once before and this past week). But I'll be around here and there a lot more often from now on. Looks like this is the place to be, to get some questions answered, and maybe impart my POV on a few things.

.............that being said:

With the recent showing of Windows 8 and Server 8, and the possible pending debocale if MS doesn't explain Metro properly sooner than later; I started to think about Server 8 as it relates to Metro. I could only imagine Metro being useful in a status monitor role for Server 8. A multi-touch enabled LCD monitor attached to the front of the server rack with tiles for temperature, CPU, network utilization, etc. And all also being run on a Windows 8 tablet or phone, for remote maintenance. But that's all elementary, I mean, we all see this coming, a lot of it we have now.

But, as I'm finally about to install Windows Home Server 2011, and rebuild my RAID on it, I started thinking about what add-ins I want to install. And that's when Metro crossed my mind again. If/when the next iteration of WHS comes along, it's going to be Server 8-based. So then, what will happen to the add-in system we have now? Will it become fully-Metro-based? When I look at the WHS server console, I see the possibility of that being killed for Metro tiles.

I held off on WHS v1 because 2011 was on its way, and many add-ins had to be updated or replaced, so I didn't want to get used to something that may very well change. (Drive Extender didn't appeal to me, as I'm on the pro-RAID side of the fence anyway) And while I don't fear the next WHS once again flipping things upside down, I started thinking how possible it is that the add-in system that we know today could be totally replaced with something Metro-based, or even WHS as a whole being swallowed up and replaced with a lesser 'edition' of Server 8 (more akin to the editions of Vista and 7) that has the core feature set of WHS via Metro-based apps?

Am I on the mark, or what? I want to know what you all think.