RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Backup Solution

JerryW

Are you sure that service is running?

Completely uninstalled the feature. When I clicked the Wbadmin app it told me the feature was not installed. then I installed the feature and when I againd clicked the Wbadmin app it went back to the same error message. There must be an error log that isn't being cleared. I went to the schedular and had erased the entire backup schedule -- still getting the error message.

This is troubling that I can't find the error but it may very well be part of the Beta that's cleared up in the RTM which we should be seeing in a few days and I'll be clearing off this bad boy again. I have learned that it's probably not a good idea to change the port that the backup drive is attatched to while also adding drives to the Server :rolleyes:

Edited by Joe_Miner

Guest no-control

I've since shutdown each of my VMs and used Allway Sync to copy the VM folder to my external HDD for backup. Then I have to manually start each VM. Has anyone come up with a better option? Maybe Symantec Backup Exec is worth it after all?

I use the built in Windows backup. Here's how I do it:

Select Backup (either once or schedule)

-> Select different or custom (depends on which you selected before.)

-> click the add button

-> Select Bare Metal Recovery (this includes system state, reserved and c:)

-> Select any additional drives / folders you wish to include. (simply select the VM folder you want to backup.)

That's it!

I've found you can include a VM folder from any drive regardless of whether it is the OS drive. It will be included in the windows server backup. Not sure how this impacts the restore process though.

I use the built in Windows backup. Here's how I do it:

Select Backup (either once or schedule)

-> Select different or custom (depends on which you selected before.)

-> click the add button

-> Select Bare Metal Recovery (this includes system state, reserved and c:)

-> Select any additional drives / folders you wish to include. (simply select the VM folder you want to backup.)

That's it!

That's what I did/do in 2008R2 and 2012. I just select my "Hyper-V" folder I have on my D: drive and back them all up (which is pobably un-necessary for those I have exported copies of). You can back it up to either an internal or external drive.

Guest no-control

So your VM folder is on the OS drive, correct?

Nope its on its own array.

I've found you can include a VM folder from any drive regardless of whether it is the OS drive. It will be included in the windows server backup. Not sure how this impacts the restore process though.

Just be sure to have a hardware setup the same way. Have a D: or whatever for them to land on.

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the plug as I work for Altaro, we develop a backup solution for Hyper-V. You might want to check us out as we just released ver3.5 which includes support for Win 2012 and we've been getting some great reviews and feedback.

We're also giving away free versions of our software for 2 VMs. All the info is at http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v-backup/

Check out a few reviews (of the BETA version of v3.5, the product has been launched since then)

http://www.hyper-v.n...ws-server-2012/

http://www.winblogs....nexus-7-tablet/

http://up2v.nl/2012/...dows-2012-v3-5/

I'm here to help so happy to answer any questions you might have.

Edited by Stephen

Downloading now and thanks for the free edition.

One of our Admins may want to put this in a separate thread. I have found this group of people more than willing to pay for software that works.

• 3 weeks later...

I have found couple of things particularly important when backing VHD’s:

1. VSS support so that the files can be backed up live, you shouldn’t have to take your VM offline to backup

2. Delta copy or partial file updating so that your 2TB VHD isn't having to copy the full 2TB each time the backup is run

The best solution that I have found is www.syncovery.com (the new name for Super Flexible File Synchronizer). It does both of the above requirements including a VSS snapshot before file comparison and subsequent backup (sync).

Not free but certainly cheap enough.

Although this is not technically a traditional backup, more of a synchronisation you can use Syncovery (or any other product or even a script that runs after) to enable renaming for multi-version archive. However to be honest with VHD's I have given up on traditional backup in favour of delta synchronisation of the VHD's to multiple external HDD's which rotate to offsite.

As a secondary option don’t forget that Sever 2012 has inbuilt tech that has new storage migration features that might make the above obsolete if your happy for an onsite only solution in its simplest iteration (onsite = no protection against fire or wholesale theft) but I'm still evaluating 2012.

One final word on snapshots, they aren’t a backup as a HDD failure will take them out (among loads of other scenarios) also roll back can play havoc with AD if you're in that environment. They are great for a rollback solution before a service pack or major app upgrade but then I always delete them (and make sure you allow for some guest VM downtime to actually remove the snapshot on pre server 2012 hosts). I Tried to rebuild a server once that had a complex snapshot tree its wasn't fun and I won't do that again. There is a serious performance hit as well.

This is what works for me at least (over a total of 6 physical Hyper-V servers), other peoples mileage may vary, hope that helps.