RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Backup Solution

JerryW

That would work. However, AllwaySync will see every VM as a new file each and everytime, if my thinking is correct.

I agree with jmwills, it should see each VM as a new file each time, at least if they've been run since the last backup. Basically, any time a file has any change whatsoever, even Last Accessed date/time, AllWaySync is going to see it as a changed file and copy it to the backup destination again.

I'm waiting for the day when all backup utilities examine each file to be backed up and only copy over the changed parts.

I had set my server local backup in S2012RC like I had it in S2008R2 with a bare-metal of C: plus a backup of my Hyper-V directory on D: and it had been chugging along nicely for awhile.

I added 3 more HD's (planning to pass them thru to S2012E) and had the Server down during what would have been one of it's scheduled backup times and when I went to look at the status of my Server local backups I have:

"A fatal error occured during a Windows Server Backup snap-in (Wbadmin.msc) operation. Error details: The Windows Server Backup service has stopped.. Close Wbadmin.msc and then restart it."

Well, I've closed and restarted a number of times to no apparent effect

I uninstalled and re-installed the Windows Server Backup feature to no apparent effect

Cuss words don't seem to help (i've tried a long list)

Still can't clear the error message or do a local server backup

Any suggestions? Should I format the backup drive then unistall the WSB feature -- restart the server -- re-install the WSB feature?

It's a beta....remove the feature and put it back in.

Tried that several times with no change. Even went into Taskschd in Power Shell and removed the Backup folder and I also turned SplashTop off for good measure. Then again removed the feature and put it back in. Still get the same error message on Local Backup.

Cuss words don't seem to help (i've tried a long list)

But have you tried them in Yiddish? You KNOW Yiddish cuss words work the best!

I've since shutdown each of my VMs and used Allway Sync to copy the VM folder to my external HDD for backup. Then I have to manually start each VM. Has anyone come up with a better option? Maybe Symantec Backup Exec is worth it after all?

SBE is not an affordable solution for 99% of the forum however you might want to test Windows Backup from each of the servers to a network location, if it will permit it.