RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Backup Solution

JerryW

Indeed, RAID is not a backup, nor is a snapshot. But, making copies of your snapshots, especially to different, removable media does constitute a backup, especially if you have more than 1 copy.

Ah yes, backing up with snapshots is much different then backing up by snapshots. The real stickler, especially with database servers, is how to properly quiesce the filesystem. That is the one thing about KVM I haven't figured out yet.

Ah yes, backing up with snapshots is much different then backing up by snapshots. The real stickler, especially with database servers, is how to properly quiesce the filesystem. That is the one thing about KVM I haven't figured out yet.

Databases, especially relational ones, do require some special steps to ensure they're in a state that permits a useful backup.

• 1 month later...

Hello sorry I am new here and reading through all the posts but have you tried a nas and back it up to that? Or even try a patriot nas connector that alows you to connect a usb drive over your network. That way you can remove it easily for off site backup.

Here is a link to the device.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX26859

I just use a Dlink 323 nas and rotate between two of them.

As long as you turn on network discovery you should be able to see either of these in your VM.

Hope it helps.

Sorry Just found this if space is hard to find.

DS212j 2-Bay NAS Server

Holds up to 8TB (2x4TB)

• 1 month later...

Now that I have my WS2008R2 box up and running, I too am seeking a backup solution for the WS 2008 R2 OS and the hyper-v VMs installed within it. I've been playing with an evaluation copy of Acronis Backup and Recovery 11, but it's like $1,700+. Are there any more cost effective alternatives for home use?

The Hyper V machines are essentially flat files so why not just use Windows backup?

I just used the Windows Server backup utility (you'll have to install that Feature). It backed my OS drive and my Drive for the VHD's. Though for a VM with pass-thru disks [i.e. WHS 2011] you may want a seperate pass-thru to back up it's OS and inportant folders. Do a search for NoControl's discussion of his backup strategy to get an excellent perspective, IMHO, on backup strategies with S2008R2 running a WHS 2011 VM. I don't remember exactly where he discusses it or I'd give you a link to it but it's in the Forums and it's worth study.

• 1 month later...

I've since installed the windows server backup utility. I currently have it doing bare metal backups of my OS drive twice daily like my old WHS2011 box used to do. However my 2 hyper-v VMs reside in a folder on my F:/ drive which is essentially a RAID5 array. Would it make sense to include the f:/virtual machines parent folder in the existing windows server backup or is another method suggested? I have access to backup exec 2010 from work but wanted to keep the process automatic and simple if possible.

I did read the no-control thread someone mentioned earlier, but it didn't seem to go into detail.

Thanks for your guidance!

The Windows built-in backup utility will only see the drive the OS is installed on. You could use something like AllwaySync to manually manage the files and they will be in a non-propriety format.

So move all VMs off of the OS drive, schedule windows server backup utility backups of the OS drive and schedule Allways Sync backups of the /virtual machines folder from my RAID5 array to an external USB HDD?