RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-V Backup Solution

JerryW

Anyone know of a good Hyper-V backup solution? I would like to backup my VM's, preferably free, if I can. Yes, I have google'd such and though I have found a lot of information, I was curious what you routines you guys were using, if any.

Thank in advance,

JerryW

You could take snapshots and move those over to another box, or take the whole environment down long enough to use something like Richcopy, Robocopy, or TerraCopy to move those files across the LAN and then turn everything back on. At a minimum you need the original VHD file sets.

Snapshots always seemed like a good solution to me, provided you can create generations of them (I can't remember which, but I think it was VMware that, at one time, only allowed a single snapshot of any given VM, which I couldn't believe). I guess the disadvantages of this approach are: (1) you're limited to a max of 2 TB and (2) you're always making a full copy of the VM, so there aren't any 'single instance storage' efficiencies like there could be with Robo/Rich/Tera-Copy.

I would like to back up the full VHDs and configuration data. Most of the solutions I have read mention using VSS (Volume Shadow Service). I have seen some scripts but I guess I was sort of looking for a freeware, semi-free method of backing up the VHD files. Maybe I am asking too much but I wanted it to be simplistic not just for me to perform a backup and restore of the VHD.

Edited by JerryW

• 3 weeks later...

Snapshots always seemed like a good solution to me, provided you can create generations of them (I can't remember which, but I think it was VMware that, at one time, only allowed a single snapshot of any given VM, which I couldn't believe). I guess the disadvantages of this approach are: (1) you're limited to a max of 2 TB and (2) you're always making a full copy of the VM, so there aren't any 'single instance storage' efficiencies like there could be with Robo/Rich/Tera-Copy.

Much like RAID isn't a backup, neither are snapshots. I have seen clients burned bad for making that mistake.

Much like RAID isn't a backup, neither are snapshots. I have seen clients burned bad for making that mistake.

Indeed, RAID is not a backup, nor is a snapshot. But, making copies of your snapshots, especially to different, removable media does constitute a backup, especially if you have more than 1 copy.

If you're not afraid of scipting, follow this BLOG

http://blogs.msdn.co...virtual_pc_guy/

Lots of good stuff there, but Ben's been bit by the Windows 8 bug lately. If you go far back enough, you'll find the backup scripting you're looking for as well as good insight on storage management. For my server, I dropped in a couple of standalone drives for staging ISO images and backups. I then have another script that copies the backups to my WHS.