RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 78, what do you think ?

diehard

Hi Guys,

I'm back on this week, glad I didn't miss talking about HP 3.0 Update. It was a long time coming. There's a post started by Sam, let me know if you will be updating your MediaSmart server.

What about the DiskManagement update, will you be buying that ?

Mike Craven at Homeserverland has been busy with AddinCental, WHSQuicken and WHSQuickbooks, let me know if your going to run these ?

We also got a visit from Alex Kuretz from MediaSmart Server.net.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• diehard

• cskenney

• greenawayj

I tried to force iTunes to download Show 78 and it tells me the file is corrupt or a file type that iTunes can't play. Anyone else have this issue. I might have to download it the old fashion way.

It must have been a problem on my end. I left iTunes running and got my kids to bed. Checked now and all is good. Will be listening to it on the drive to work in the morning.

Glad you got it downloaded. 100th episode huh? It's hard for me to think about the next one let alone 22 episodes down the road! Will certainly have to do something special though.

Don't forget the Google voice number. 262-458-4802 Give it a ring and leave a message. I'll get them on the next show.

Always enjoy the show. I don't know who said Hamachi goes through an intermediate server. It works like the torrent model. There is a main machine that brokers the connection, but the actual data transfer path is encrypted peer to peer. By using a central machine to broker the connection, you don't have the port forwarding issues on your router that messes up the casual user.
I currently have both my parents machines and my sons machines backing up from their homes every night using Hamachi.
There is only 1 gotcha. If they are doing video editing, downloading large files, etc, it won't back up in a reasonable way. The files are just too large. This can be something that's an issue for a regular backup on the home network too. So, I have a "don't backup" folder on their desktop and large files that are transient, or are really large, don't backup over Hamachi. Most of those files don't really require backup since they can be gotten from the original source again. For large files like video editing, they have a USB drive and can do manual saves. However, for 99% of their files, everything backs up well every night.