RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status: Metro

diehard

Jerry, how's the Windows 8 Metro coding coming along ? Any screen shots ?

JerryW

Jerry, how's the Windows 8 Metro coding coming along ? Any screen shots ?

No. I opened this thread to get feedback about the interest in a Metro version but, as you can see from the replies in this forum, we seemed to have gotten side-tracked. I have gotten a few emails but none of them show any interest in a Metro version. So, it is quite possible that I will allow HSS to ride out until the release of Windows 8 and then at that time, I will determine whether or not I wish to continue this project all together. I am moving on to new projects but they have nothing to do with WHS. A couple of days ago I did release v3.04 which added Notify My Android alerts for backup notification.

msawyer91

Sorry Jerry if I contributed to the sidetracking. It seems our discussions swirled into discussions about Metro itself, rather than the merits of Metro on Home Server Status.

I did finally get Windows 8 installed today, and I will confess that my initial detest for Metro is waning, although there clearly are going to be some growing pains there as it is indeed a radical change to the Windows UI. So if you want to look at it from that point of view, one could argue that growing pains with Metro in general translates into growing pains with Windows 8 and therefore with HSS as well. On the other hand, once one gets the hang of Metro in one place, why can't they get the hang of it in another? If anything, it's going to be more of a challenge to design and code a whole new UI, rather than tried and true Windows Forms.

I owe you thanks too, seeing your comment about NMA. Seeing you had Prowl baked into Home Server Status, I decided to include Prowl notifications in Home Server SMART 2012(and its companion WindowSMART 2012). What a great idea you had! And while I was out there, I saw that there was Notify My Android, and since I've got Cyanogen (mod) Android ICS on my HP TouchPad, I implemented NMA as well. It looks like a fellow named Casey Watson (et al) wrote a nice API for both Prowl and NMA, with identical constructors, methods, etc. that made implementing both a breeze.

I need to download your latest version to get the NMA functionality. Thanks for putting that in!

Matt

JerryW

Matt,

I agree with you on Windows 8. Jury is still out for me. I don't mind change, I like change. From a design perspective I believe parts of the Metro interface or parts of Windows 8, are in a word, ugly. I am not overly impressed with the look. I love the idea but the look, geez! One example I am talking about is the switches used in personal settings, etc. They just look bad. Well, enough rant. My HSS may not be made for Metro UI. I am still thinking on it but the more I think about it, the more I feel I have not gotten the support I needed for it. So, time will tell.

Keep up the great work my friend on your HSS project!!

Jerry

gcoupe

Windows 8 is Microsoft's Marmite. I'm fairly relaxed about it. I love the Metro UI on my Windows Phone, and I can see it working well on a Tablet. I am also using the W8CP on my main PC quite happily with only a keyboard and mouse. I actually quite like the stripping back of the design to simple buttons and sliders.

The main issue is that, thus far, I've found no Metro Apps that give me the same level of functionality as my traditional Desktop apps. I know that it's early days, and that all we have are previews, but it seems to me that Microsoft have an enormous mountain to climb before Windows 8 is officially released this year. Personally, I don't think they'll make it by release time, so that I'll continue to spend most of my time in the traditional Desktop environment even though it will be running on Windows 8.

ikon

I'm afraid you've completely lost the North American crowd with the Marmite reference ;) but, on a more serious note, I'm with you on the Metro apps angle - I posted in another thread that it will be interesting to see what Metro editions of Photoshop, Premiere, & Autocad look like.

gcoupe

it will be interesting to see what Metro editions of Photoshop, Premiere, & Autocad look like.

Well, now that a fairly functional version of Photoshop is available for the iPad, I think that it can be done. The question is whether anyone will do it...

However, even on the iPad, I think it's still a toy. Someone has pointed out that on a REAL Tablet, with a Wacom digitizer and 256 pressure levels on the screen, Photoshop is a grown-up application. That's what a Windows Tablet has as the advantage; iPads and Android tablets just don't have that.

Edited by gcoupe

ikon

Well, now that a fairly functional version of Photoshop is available for the iPad, I think that it can be done. The question is whether anyone will do it...

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I wasn't trying to suggest it can't be done. I'm sure it will be done. i simply meant it will be interesting to see what they look like, how they look different from current versions.

gcoupe

My edit crossed with your post...

ikon

My edit crossed with your post...

It's all good :D