RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
JerryW

Home Server Status: Metro

JerryW

My thoughts on Home Server Status: Metro

1. New UI, new metro tile, etc.

2. Not HSS v4 but a new Windows platform

3. New registration and a new $6.95 payment

4. What will HSS: Metro offer? Well, we will see. I have a few ideas.

Before you rant to me over another payment, please keep in mind this is another Windows revision and HSS for Windows 7 will continue its life, for now.

If you have ideas and suggestions, I would like to hear them as long as they are reasonable and helpful to the WHS community.

Thank you,

Jerry

Edited by JerryW

diehard

Interesting. Thanks for keeping WHS alive.

Looks like the metro apps don't get uninstalled when using the new Windows 8 PC reset. So that's nice. HSS will keep coming back.

ikon

OH NO! We'll never get rid of it !!!.... j/k :D

msawyer91

I haven't installed Windows 8 yet, even though I downloaded it. From all the demos and screen shots I've seen of Metro I'm just not liking it. I guess for a tablet with a touch interface it might be cool, but what about a desktop? Is something that is "touch optimized" (or at least appears to be) going to be appropriate for a desktop? I guess it just seems to artsy-fartsy to be practical.

Although I concede the first time I ever saw the Windows XP UI I hated it and grew to love it. Maybe Metro is a diamond in the rough. But right now it just seems to be the rough and I have yet to find the diamond.

ikon

I haven't installed Windows 8 yet, even though I downloaded it. From all the demos and screen shots I've seen of Metro I'm just not liking it. I guess for a tablet with a touch interface it might be cool, but what about a desktop? Is something that is "touch optimized" (or at least appears to be) going to be appropriate for a desktop? I guess it just seems to artsy-fartsy to be practical.

Although I concede the first time I ever saw the Windows XP UI I hated it and grew to love it. Maybe Metro is a diamond in the rough. But right now it just seems to be the rough and I have yet to find the diamond.

I suspect you may come to love Metro. I was highly skeptical at first but, as I started using it more, I'm starting to see how it could be very useful, especially in the scenario (the one MS wants) where I don't close programs anymore; they just get suspended. The idea of having all my favourite apps right there on the desktop, all ready to go (even with my most recent document already loaded) is starting to win me over. That's not even mentioning the possibilities of live tiles that, for example, are constantly monitoring my system, my network, other computers on my network, etc.

One thing I've found it is that the WinKey shortcuts make navigating the interace much easier, and I'm learning new navigation tricks every week. I think, pretty soon, it's going to become intuitive, like using WinKey + arrow key to dock open windows in Win7.

msawyer91

I suspect you may come to love Metro. I was highly skeptical at first but, as I started using it more, I'm starting to see how it could be very useful, especially in the scenario (the one MS wants) where I don't close programs anymore; they just get suspended. The idea of having all my favourite apps right there on the desktop, all ready to go (even with my most recent document already loaded) is starting to win me over. That's not even mentioning the possibilities of live tiles that, for example, are constantly monitoring my system, my network, other computers on my network, etc.

One thing I've found it is that the WinKey shortcuts make navigating the interace much easier, and I'm learning new navigation tricks every week. I think, pretty soon, it's going to become intuitive, like using WinKey + arrow key to dock open windows in Win7.

Thanks ikon, I see hope in that. I think I'll give Windows 8 a go tomorrow. I got it loaded onto a flash drive since installs go so much faster than from DVD. I just need to make sure I've got everything on that box backed up and deactivate my Adobe CS5 suite so I can reactivate it later.

ikon

Thanks ikon, I see hope in that. I think I'll give Windows 8 a go tomorrow. I got it loaded onto a flash drive since installs go so much faster than from DVD. I just need to make sure I've got everything on that box backed up and deactivate my Adobe CS5 suite so I can reactivate it later.

Good thinking on the CS5. One question: is the box you plan to use currently running Win7? If so, you should be able to do an upgrade (keeping CS5 installed). Myself, I would Clonezilla the OS drive first, then do the upgrade, but that's just me ;)

msawyer91

Good thinking on the CS5. One question: is the box you plan to use currently running Win7? If so, you should be able to do an upgrade (keeping CS5 installed). Myself, I would Clonezilla the OS drive first, then do the upgrade, but that's just me ;)

I've used Clonezilla before and found it very handy, and I was tempted to do the upgrade. However, I've never really been happy with OS upgrades. Windows 95 to 98, 2000 to XP, XP to Vista, Server 2003 to 2008, etc. I think the "upgrade" tends to save some time up front but cause more problems later. Any problems that exist in the old build get upgraded to the new one. And some cases are just trouble. For instance, I had upgraded Windows Server 2008 x64 to Server 2008 R2 in a development lab at work. This server hosted Exchange Server 2010. Overall things seemed to be running okay, but the event log was constantly seeing these cryptic error messages and some of the Exchange tasks were failing. Googling the most common of Microsoft's infamous 0x80000000 hexadecimal error codes revealed a Microsoft tech note on the subject that said that upgrading 2008 to 2008 R2 while Exchange is running is not supported, and that I effectively broke the server. So I had to build a new E2K10 server, migrate the mailboxes, rebuild the original one from scratch and put it all back. So what started out as a "quick" a 2 hour project turned into an two-day endeavor.

Since I'm notorious for being a packrat, in both the physical and virtual world, an OS rebuild is always a good way to clean house and start over fresh and new. :)

Plus the system drive has BitLocker so Clonezilla probably wouldn't work. I've never tried to clone an encrypted partition.

ikon

Since I'm notorious for being a packrat, in both the physical and virtual world, an OS rebuild is always a good way to clean house and start over fresh and new.

Besides, you just like that minty-fresh feeling you get with a new OS install :D

Plus the system drive has BitLocker so Clonezilla probably wouldn't work. I've never tried to clone an encrypted partition.

I haven't tried it either but I suspect CZ would handle it fine; it just copies sectors after all; doesn't really care what's in them ;)

msawyer91

Besides, you just like that minty-fresh feeling you get with a new OS install :D

I like the minty-fresh feeling from a clean install. :)

Anyhow, I didn't get around to it like I planned. We had an unseasonably warm weekend here in MI so between taking my kids to the park and playing with them outside or installing Windows 8, I chose playing with the young'ins. After they went to bed this evening I fixed a couple of bugs in HSS and posted a new beta.

Plus, the boot drive in the desktop I was using died, so I had been using a Green drive in that machine, but it's too slow to run it. So I'm probably going to see if I can pick up an HDD tomorrow after work. Best Buy's got a sale on some HDDs so I'll see what I can pick up. I don't need a monster; I just want a 7200 RPM for the boot drive. Once Windows 8 goes gold I'll probably pick up another SSD and make that the boot drive. I'm loving the SSDs I've got in my laptops. They're so, so fast.