RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Storage Spaces v Stablebit Drivepool

hopester

Just installed win8 on my test server and thought I'd try a quick speed test between my whs2011 box running drivepool and Storage Spaces ( Mirror).

4.36GB Test file (transfered over network from a win7 pc)

Single Drive = 60 seconds

Drivepool = 58 Seconds

Storage Spaces = 141 Seconds

Tried a few more files and it appears to take at least twice as long which suprised me as I was expecting Microsoft to be a lot faster. Looking at the transfer graph, it looks like they have the same problems drivepool had in its early days.

Will do some more testing over the next few days, removing drives etc

Regards,

Steve.

Edited by hopester

Looks like the speed problem is when you copy to a win8 share (pointing at the Storagre Spaces) from the client pc, ie pushing the file. If you share it from the client pc and pull it from the server the speed is ok.

Interesting. I'm impressed with DrivePool in this scenario.

The data seems in line with read/write speeds on a mirror although a little slower than what i expected. Writes roughly 2 x reads. I have some test numbers that are not far off from that to be honest. Test numbers are always subjective due to the hardware used though. One test will not compare to another especially since you are comparing a set of Win8 hardware to your WHS hardware.

I look forward to more numbers and how you have it setup if you have time.

I wonder if a DFS pointer would be faster? Would seem to eliminate one of those hops.

Couple more things I've noticed.

If you test out a drive failure by removing it, no warning appears anywhere that a drive has failed (that I can see), even the event log did not show an error. The only place that shows a warning is inside the storage spaces control panel.

As expected, the pulled drive is unreadable in any machine. (unlike drivepool that uses native ntfs)

Couple more things I've noticed.

If you test out a drive failure by removing it, no warning appears anywhere that a drive has failed (that I can see), even the event log did not show an error. The only place that shows a warning is inside the storage spaces control panel.

As expected, the pulled drive is unreadable in any machine. (unlike drivepool that uses native ntfs)

I think these would be good things to mention in the Server 8 forums, just to give MS a little nudge that people would like these things.

I've found the reason for the slow numbers, my WD20EARS 2TB drive is giving terrible performance under storage spaces. If I format the drive using NTFS all is good but as soon as its added to the pool and reformatted, its random write number drop to 10MB/s. Its the only drive on my test server that uses advanced format so thats the only clue I have. I wonder if the disk is being alligned correctly...

I've found the reason for the slow numbers, my WD20EARS 2TB drive is giving terrible performance under storage spaces. If I format the drive using NTFS all is good but as soon as its added to the pool and reformatted, its random write number drop to 10MB/s. Its the only drive on my test server that uses advanced format so thats the only clue I have. I wonder if the disk is being alligned correctly...

As I was reading your post my mind was also going, "hmmmm, alignment?". Have you tried jumpering it as a test?