RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kbrucej

RAM - Has anyone tried using a 2x8 kit with the N40L

jmwills

I believe you will need to hack the BIOS. Joe_Miner is pretty much the resident expert here on upgrading the N40L and will hopefully chime in.

Joe_Miner

It shouldn't be necessary to hack the BIOS to get the MicroServer to see the 16GB consistently. From what I've read, if you use Modules in the Compatibility list it should work fine on N36L's and N40L's with Factory BIOS and the hacked BIOS.

I can't find the RAM KVR1333D3N9/8G that you're using in the compatibility list at the HP ProIlant MicroServer Owner Club or on the HP MicroServer N40L Wiki. In searching the entire thread at the Owners Club I could only find one instance of someone, quantocks, installing the 4G version of the Kingston KVR1333D3N9 (2 sticks) and none of the 8G.

I haven't installed it myself but the Modules that seem the most popular (fewest problems, actually no problems, reported) are the Patriot Gamer 2 PGD316G1333ELK Of course YMMV -- I would suggest going to the HP ProLiant MicroServer Owner Club and beginning around page 400 various owners describe their trials and successes/failures in installing 16GB. The Modules in the Compatibility lists at the Owner's club and on the Wiki have all been reported to work from the get-go from what I've read -- the problems you're describing are the issues found with Modules not on the Compatibility lists.

This probably isn't what you want to hear and since I've moved my MicroServer out of the Lab and into Production I haven't played in the BIOS for some time and unfortunately I don't remember any Parity settings in BIOS. Maybe someone else can help who has a MicroServer not in Production.

jmwills

The authoritative voice has spoken!

Micco

I bought 2 x Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz (CMX8GX3M1A1333C9) for my N40L.

First boot the operative system recognized 16GB but 8GB was hardware reserved i.e. the other 8GB memory couldn't be used.

After a couple of reboots (4-5) the operative system detected and started to use 16GB memory.

I'm now running Windows Server 2012 with 16GB memory and modified BIOS (until I restart the server once more...  :rolleyes: )

ikon

Yeah, the N40L seems to be less tolerant than the N54L. I'm not actually sure there is any brand/model of RAM that consistently works in the N40L. It seems to be a YMMV situation.

jmwills

No one, that I am aware of, has been to get 16 gigs to run 100% of the time.

ikon

Unlike the N54L, which at least some people seem to have working consistently.