RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kbrucej

RAM - Has anyone tried using a 2x8 kit with the N40L

pollaxe

Evening all, from an N40L-owning Brit, this is a bit of a bump but when I saw this thread I was reminded of something I saw earlier in the month over on the unraid forum.

A user over there JohnM reported that he'd got 16gb working and recognised under Server 2008r2 SP1.

Specifically, these are the DIMMs:

The RAM I used is 2x Samsung 8GB ECC unbuffered DDR3 UDIMM 1333MHz (CL9).

The ram was genuine Samsung re-branded as Super Talent.

I'm on 8gb, I'm half-tempted to give 16gb a try, as RAM is fairly cheap at the moment. :)

Joe_Miner

Evening all, from an N40L-owning Brit, this is a bit of a bump but when I saw this thread I was reminded of something I saw earlier in the month over on the unraid forum.

A user over there JohnM reported that he'd got 16gb working and recognised under Server 2008r2 SP1.

Specifically, these are the DIMMs:

I'm on 8gb, I'm half-tempted to give 16gb a try, as RAM is fairly cheap at the moment. :)

Welcome to the Board Pollaxe! That is some fantastic news you bring us. Now I'm feeling "half tempted" too -- this could make for a really nice little testing set-up!! 16GB RAM on a MicroServer!!

There's bound to be more JohnM's out there who have taken the plunge!

Tell us about your system too -- We'd love to hear about the things you've been working on!!

pollaxe

Thanks for the welcome, Joe! :)

My system is a hybrid file server (of sorts) but also doubling as an HTPC.

The file server side is very low demand, it's more of a central repository for stuff so I've ended up with a Radeon 6450, a USB 3.0 card, 8 GB RAM, an OCZ Vertex SSD 120 GB boot drive (Server 2008 r2 SP1) and a software RAID 5 array of 4x2TB disks. I use XBMC quite a bit with it and have a Logitech wireless keyboard with a touchpad for most of my input needs (an iPhone and iPad with Constellation on each for XBMC remote duties.)

I've just started getting SMART errors on one of the drives, so I'm going to have to do some replacement work soon (everything is backed up.) I do have 2-3 3TB drives with which I'm thinking of using to replace the current array. I'm currently pondering a second licence for FlexRAID as I do have a pool of large drives but from different manufacturers and I have another PC downstairs which has FlexRAID on it and it's been pretty good.

I also use Allway Sync to keep both the N40L and the other box synched up with each other.

I might take the plunge next month and try 16 GB.. I've been pleasantly surprised by the N40L's performance - it replaced a Thecus N4100+ which was starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

Edited by pollaxe

Joe_Miner

I found this list of 16GB RAM that's know to work at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1555868&page=34

In message #674 by Stanza33

"It seems to be confirmed, that these wonderfull little boxen can actually support 16Gb Memory, not the 8Gb HP Says they are limited to.

Standard or Hacked BIOS doesn't seem to matter

Here are some known working 8Gb Memory Modules are

ECC modules

Super Talent DDR3-1333 8GB/512Mx8 ECC Samsung Chip Server Memory - W1333EB8GS

NON ECC Modules

Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz XMS3 CMX8GX3M1A1333C9

GSkill Ares F3-1333C9D-16GAO

G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 <Note Heatspreaders are too high>

Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK

And here is a known NON WORKING Modules

Corsair CMV16GX3M2A1333C9 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3 <Tho it shows 8Gb with One Stick Inserted>"

Stanza33 seems to have the most complete list that I found on page 34 of the thread on HardForum though if you go back to page 32 you can read forward and catch some of the screen shots from people running 16GB on the N40L or N36L using ESXi or 2008-R2.

Embiggens

I believe I can also report success with the Patriot model listed, using Windows Vista (for now...). I am using the modded bios and I actually had to play around with that some. I had been running with only the single 2GB stick that the microserver was shipped with, and this weekend I switched over to the 2x8GB Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK. Oddly, initially both BIOS and OS were reporting only one of the sticks- 8192 MB. On a whim, I set parity checking to 'enabled' and the box recognized both sticks. Then I set parity checking back to 'auto' since it wouldn't make sense to use parity checking with this memory, and both sticks were still recognized in both BIOS and OS. I am really not sure if this was just a coincidence, seems like it would be... I will probably look into this more, but I can't until the weekend.

Joe_Miner

I believe I can also report success with the Patriot model listed, using Windows Vista (for now...). I am using the modded bios and I actually had to play around with that some. I had been running with only the single 2GB stick that the microserver was shipped with, and this weekend I switched over to the 2x8GB Patriot Gamer2 PGD316G1333ELK. Oddly, initially both BIOS and OS were reporting only one of the sticks- 8192 MB. On a whim, I set parity checking to 'enabled' and the box recognized both sticks. Then I set parity checking back to 'auto' since it wouldn't make sense to use parity checking with this memory, and both sticks were still recognized in both BIOS and OS. I am really not sure if this was just a coincidence, seems like it would be... I will probably look into this more, but I can't until the weekend.

Nice find! Can't wait to hear what you find this weekend!

DEUSmachina

Awesome news, although it means I've just wasted dollars on the 2x 8GB modules I've just purchased - dag-nab-it...

This box just keeps surprising.

Edited by DEUSmachina

jmwills

That's what I really need....another member helping Joe Miner feed me ideas on how to spend money!! Just great!!....... :wacko:

ikon

That's what I really need....another member helping Joe Miner feed me ideas on how to spend money!! Just great!!....... :wacko:

You Texans really have no will power, do ya? :D