RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kbrucej

RAM - Has anyone tried using a 2x8 kit with the N40L

Joe_Miner

This KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G is the same specs as the recommended RAM - KVR1333D3E9SK2/8G but is 2x8 rather than 2x4. (same kingston RAM spec)

Would be awesome if it works....I wonder if the BIOS fix allows for more RAM?

http://www.kingston....D3E9SK2_16G.pdf

http://www.kingston....3D3E9SK2_8G.pdf

You may want to check out the N40L user's groups in Great Britian and Australia -- they seem to have some very active user groups and many people active in ESXi home labs. If it's possible someone there would have tried it.

HP's literature states that 8GB is the limit and from a marketing/product placement standpoint I could see them limiting it to 8GB so that as a small business grew and needed more capacity they would buy up HP's server product line.

But then HP's literature also states that 8TB is the storage limit and we know that isn't so -- right now I have 2 3TB and 2 2TB drives plus a 128GB SSD in my MicroServer and I still have a slot open.

So...... It's possible that 16GB of RAM is possible but you'd be sailing into uncharted territory unless you can find someone in the above mentioned user groups who have tried it.

I would appreciate you letting us know what you find out one way or the other.

Good Luck -- sounds like you're going to have a lot of fun experimenting!

WHS 2011 maxes out aty 8GB and 1 Physical CPU.

Yeh, that makes sense since I believe WHS 2011 is based on the Server 2008 R2 Foundation build (which is also 1 CPU and 8GB RAM) though I believe Foundation can have 15 clients whereas WHS 2011 is limited to 10. But then Foundation for ProLiant is over $200 whereas 2011 is about $50 i think.

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

So...... It's possible that 16GB of RAM is possible but you'd be sailing into uncharted territory unless you can find someone in the above mentioned user groups who have tired.

Better name that server 'Columbus' :)

Joe_Miner

Better name that server 'Columbus' :)

I've named mine "Destiny" -- obviously I watch wayyyyyyy to much SciFi :)

kbrucej

I can't find anything in the chipset literature that limits it to 8GB - not sure I'm ready for a $300 gamble, but I'm considering it...tax refund can't get awefully smelly if left in your bank too long :blink: - trying to see if I have another way to use the RAM just in case. hmmm maybe I need a new system, wonder what my wife would say...maybe the couch isn't so lumpy after all, and the dogs still love me...

ikon

Guess it depends partly on what OS you want to run.

Joe_Miner

I can't find anything in the chipset literature that limits it to 8GB - not sure I'm ready for a $300 gamble, but I'm considering it...tax refund can't get awefully smelly if left in your bank too long :blink: - trying to see if I have another way to use the RAM just in case. hmmm maybe I need a new system, wonder what my wife would say...maybe the couch isn't so lumpy after all, and the dogs still love me...

At the very least I would write the RAM Manufacture -- for $300 I would want some assurance from someone I had some trust in that it would work before I placed an order.

The couch can be a very lonely place :)

ikon

The couch can be a very lonely place :)

Sometimes the dogs are better company -_-

kbrucej

I might try non-ecc (i know that works from other forum posts). it's only $104 from newegg for a cheap 2x8 dual channel kit. it that works then I'd grab the ECC equivelant for the second server. if it doesn't, i can always use it in a hyper-v install on desktop hardware.

I wanted to play with the P2V using a hyper-v guest to vmware anyway...wow, I'm really talking myself into this, better be careful.

mysticgeek

I just upgraded my RAM with a 2x4 GB kit. That process was seamless.

Joe_Miner

I just upgraded my RAM with a 2x4 GB kit. That process was seamless.

Congratulations! Did you have any trouble with the SAS cable connector on the MB?