RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

connector software in Windows 8 consumer preview?

scottbakertemp

Anyone gotten the connector software to install in Windows 8 64 bit consumer preview? I'm getting the following screen after entering the server password.

whs%2Bv1%2Bconnector%2Bwith%2BWindows%2B8%2B64%2Bbit.jpg

It backs out after getting about 90% , i dont believe this is totally a windows 8 thing, as this has happened before but am at a loss for the moment

another way to access the green connector screen is , going to network and other devices then down to the server name

It backs out after getting about 90% , i dont believe this is totally a windows 8 thing, as this has happened before but am at a loss for the moment

another way to access the green connector screen is , going to network and other devices then down to the server name

After some binging on the web - it looks like the problem was the time zone setting in windows 8. I corrected that to match the server and was able to install.

I was about to go back to 7 - but this might keep me in 8 a little longer.

More than likley it is the Time Zone setting as this has been seen before, stupid, but it does cause issues.

I'll give that a try, looks like I best setup my server as a time server again, NTP I think, even my switch has a time sync option.

they need to code the connector to recognize this,

Ok , just confirmed when trying to install WHS 2011 connector and it gets to about 90% and backs out , the solution for me was to follow Issue 1 on Andrews site above

Issue 1

You need to Enable .net 3.5 in windows 8 in order to join WHS 2011

Symptom:

When you tried to join a windows 8 client machine to WHS 2011, you will see an error.

Workaround:

You need to enable .Net Framework 3.5.

To enable .Net Framework 3.5 in Windows 8 32bit OS

1. Log on to the Widows 8 client machine.

2. Click Start, Type Control Panel, and then press Enter to open Control Panel.

3. Click Uninstall a program.

4. Click Turn Windows features on or off.

5. Check all .Net Framework 3.5 Items in pop-up Windows Features dialog.

6. Click OK to Search and download required files, and then complete .Net Framework 3.5 Components installation

I can also confirm it does make a Metro Tile automatically

I am going to build a dedicated WIN8 box this weekend so I can better utilize some screen real estate. i3 2100k - 8GIGS DDR3 - 90 GIG OCZ SSD. This puppy should hummmmmmmmm