RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Restore WHS backup to a VM?

Jesse

Hello,

The wife's employers just mover her from a PC to a Mac. There are still some tasks that can only be done from a PC, so she wants to give virtualbox and a windows VM a try.

I have been testing Vbox and started wondering if it would not make sense to just virtualize her old PC in its entirety so she could have easy access to the whole thing right on her Mac. I found some stuff on converting a physical machine to a virtual machine using vmware converter, and it looks do-able, but then I started thinking about trying to just "restore" the pc to a vm using WHS2011. Anyone here ever try such a thing?

Jesse

I have used the convertor to go from HyperV to ESXi but not physical to virtual, but really I think the convetor doesn't know the difference.

Use the converter, it's much easier. You might have issues going from a physical backup to a VM. That might be fun to try though come to think of it.

Hello,

The wife's employers just mover her from a PC to a Mac. There are still some tasks that can only be done from a PC, so she wants to give virtualbox and a windows VM a try.

I have been testing Vbox and started wondering if it would not make sense to just virtualize her old PC in its entirety so she could have easy access to the whole thing right on her Mac. I found some stuff on converting a physical machine to a virtual machine using vmware converter, and it looks do-able, but then I started thinking about trying to just "restore" the pc to a vm using WHS2011. Anyone here ever try such a thing?

Jesse

I seem to recall posting to a thread about this subject a little while back. My comment then was, "Surely this is the employer's responsibility.". If she needs the PC programs to get her job done, why isn't the employer taking care of it? It's very nice of you to offer to help, but should you really have to?

The converter was built for physical to virtual but works just as well from VM to VM. I've used it to go from Hyper-V machines over to ESXi VM's. Worked flawlessly.

• 1 month later...