RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Microserver Arrived Today!

mysticgeek

So, after listening to the podcast last week, I decided to pull the trigger and get the HP ProLiant Microserver. It just arrived today and I am installing WHS 2011 on it via USB.

I have installed and used WHS 2011 on VMs but not on an actual machine.

I am thinking I will keep my version one server still though for sure.

So my journey begins!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• mysticgeek

• ikon

• Joe_Miner

It's funny how before I got to these forums I hadn't ever heard of HP microservers or WHS. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I live in Finland. :(

So, after listening to the podcast last week, I decided to pull the trigger and get the HP ProLiant Microserver. It just arrived today and I am installing WHS 2011 on it via USB.

I have installed and used WHS 2011 on VMs but not on an actual machine.

I am thinking I will keep my version one server still though for sure.

So my journey begins!

Congratulations!

Tell us the details of the build and don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of good info in the MicroServer sub-forum!

I think you'll enjoy your new little MicroServer -- I'm certainly having a blast with mine!!

Maybe we should form, "MicroNation" for the HP users! A splinter cell.

LOL -- it's fun for sure!

Just hope I can resist the next sub-$200 sale :) -- could be tough explaining two MicroServers in the house :)

Edit: there's a certain irony in reading your "MicroNation" next to your picture of a Saturn 5 !!

Edited by Joe_Miner

If there is another one this weekend...I may put off eating and go ahead buy it.

Edited by jazzerjay

If there is another one this weekend...I may put off eating and go ahead buy it.

I could stand to lose a few pounds but it would be living in a tent in the backyard that would be inconvenient -- I'd have to run some extension cords to power my MicroServers :)

I got mine from New Egg. It was $269...not a hot deal or anything, but I couldn't resist. I also bought 8GB's of RAM for it. Then I have 3 1TB drives that I will stick in it. Luckily I got those before the flood problem... and they were cheap.

The other week someone suggested getting a SSD for it...I might, but we'll see what happens here.

I installed WHS 2011 via USB. Worked great. I was going to start migrating my data, but with the Windows 8 Consumer Preview today...well, will get back to the server in a few days.