RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
diehard

How To: Windows Home Server v1 in AHCI mode on a HP Microserver

diehard

Ok, I got this working :D

I found instruction here http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?p=13183786

The issue with installing WHS version 1 on the HP Microserver N40L is that the BIOS must be in IDE mode or the server will continously reboot if you set it to AHCI.

The trick is to do the install normally. Once that's all done (patches and updates) remove the drive from the 1st slot of the drive cage and temporarily attach it to the sata connector on the motherboard that would be used to add a DVD drive.

Now reboot and go into the BIOS to change it to AHCI mode. Don't have any other pooled drives attached for convience. Now the server will boot normally, not continously reboot. You should get a message saying that their is a new device. Now you have to add the AHCI drivers, follow the link above and extract the files and install the driver.

Power down the server. Move the drive back to slot 1 of the cage, leave the BIOS in AHCI, it should now run properly. You will get some warnings because your missing your pooled drives, add the drives one at a time so the server can discover them, when your all done, do a reboot to clear any errors.

You should be golden B)

Joe_Miner

Ok, I got this working :D

I found instruction here http://forums.overcl....php?p=13183786

The issue with installing WHS version 1 on the HP Microserver N40L is that the BIOS must be in IDE mode or the server will continously reboot if you set it to AHCI.

The trick is to do the install normally. Once that's all done (patches and updates) remove the drive from the 1st slot of the drive cage and temporarily attach it to the sata connector on the motherboard that would be used to add a DVD drive.

Now reboot and go into the BIOS to change it to AHCI mode. Don't have any other pooled drives attached for convience. Now the server will boot normally, not continously reboot. You should get a message saying that their is a new device. Now you have to add the AHCI drivers, follow the link above and extract the files and install the driver.

Power down the server. Move the drive back to slot 1 of the cage, leave the BIOS in AHCI, it should now run properly. You will get some warnings because your missing your pooled drives, add the drives one at a time so the server can discover them, when your all done, do a reboot to clear any errors.

You should be golden B)

This is fantastic DieHard!

Great information to know -- while my EX-487 continues to Purrrr along -- if it should crash it's good to know that I have the option to install V1 over on the MicroServer.

jazzerjay

This is fantastic DieHard!

Great information to know -- while my EX-487 continues to Purrrr along -- if it should crash it's good to know that I have the option to install V1 over on the MicroServer.

Wait...what? V1 on 8GB of RAM? Would you not go with WHS2011? (Which is my weekend plan btw)

Joe_Miner

Wait...what? V1 on 8GB of RAM? Would you not go with WHS2011? (Which is my weekend plan btw)

LOL, I like keeping my options open. :) It's nice to know I could go either way -- V1 or 2011.

Diehard put in a lot of work digging this out and it's good information to know -- weather I used it for myself or a V1 build for a family member or friend in the future. Knowing more about how something works is always a good thing IMHO.

Edited by Joe_Miner

diehard

I'm a hacker at heart, so I like to test stuff on my WHSv1.

One reason among others for folks leaving WHSv1 was that now, most large drives are Advance Format 4K, and are not supprted on WHSv1. You have to jump through a few hoops to get them working, like using a jumper or align the drive. There is also no support for 3TB drives.

I was not able to add the 3TB drive to my WHSv1 box in IDE mode without using a 3rd party card because without the card, IDE mode would format the 3TB as 2TB and 768Gig as a GPT drive. Modifying WHSv1 to run in AHCI allows me to format the whole drive 3TB as GPT. Then with the help of that post, I can add it to the pool.

The other good thing is that now I can use the internal 4 bay cage and not have to use the optical drive bay for the 3TB drive. Then I end up not using the cage for every 3TB drive I get.

Now I can go all mental and add a SSD with 4 3TB drives on a 2003 version software. :blink: I'll have to figure out how to move the d:\ partition off the SSD drive. But i don't have spare cash to get a 20gig SSD so that will never get tested.

What I like here is that I don't have to worry about organising my pooled drive as I would in WHS2011.

Now, let's see if Server 8 or Windows 8 takes over.

The 3TB drives are on loan from DROBO, thanks DROBO.

NO HARD DRIVES WERE HARMED IN ANY WAY DURING THESE TESTS.

ikon

LOL, I like keeping my options open. :) It's nice to know I could go either way -- V1 or 2011.

Diehard put in a lot of work digging this out and it's good information to know -- weather I used it for myself or a V1 build for a family member or friend in the future. Knowing more about how something works is always a good thing IMHO.

Wait, Joe_Miner goes both ways?! ;)

ikon

Are you listening Drobo?? :)

Joe_Miner

One reason among others for folks leaving WHSv1 was that now, most large drives are Advance Format 4K, and are not supprted on WHSv1. You have to jump through a few hoops to get them working, like using a jumper or align the drive. There is also no support for 3TB drives.

I was not able to add the 3TB drive to my WHSv1 box in IDE mode without using a 3rd party card because without the card, IDE mode would format the 3TB as 2TB and 768Gig as a GPT drive. Modifying WHSv1 to run in AHCI allows me to format the whole drive 3TB as GPT. Then with the help of that post, I can add it to the pool.

The other good thing is that now I can use the internal 4 bay cage and not have to use the optical drive bay for the 3TB drive. Then I end up not using the cage for every 3TB drive I get.

Now I can go all mental and add a SSD with 4 3TB drives on a 2003 version software. :blink: I'll have to figure out how to move the d:\ partition off the SSD drive. But i don't have spare cash to get a 20gig SSD so that will never get tested.

What I like here is that I don't have to worry about organising my pooled drive as I would in WHS2011.

Very Nice! I'm quite impressed -- you got all those 3TB's to work in V1 -- that's an achievement -- I hope you talk about it at a future HSS!

barnwern

Hey Diehard

What I would love is to see the HP boot from the internal USB with say a 32Gb Flash in there

Do you think that would be possible??

Let us know, as that should be nice and fast and free all 4 slots for drives!!

diehard

Yes, That would be cool.

What I did was use a modified BIOS, (search these forums) to increase the onboard sata to 3mb/sec. Then I installed a 60 SSD. I had to hack that to get WHSv1 on it. The SSD sits perfectly on the back wall of the Microserver case, the black area. It will rest above the fan but will also give clearance for the power and sata cable and space to allow the cover to slide back on. Then I added 2 3TB drives using an other hack from MediaSmartServer.net