RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

X510 Connection Accesses & Failures

jbh

I need help in solving a new intermit connection problem to my HP Data Vault X510 Windows Home Server. I installed the X510 on December 26, 2010. The installation went smooth and the system operated perfectly until January 28, 2012. At this time, the automatic backups failed to execute and now the server can only be accessed for a short period of time (~ one hour) only after a system reboot (e.g. system reboot, system access, no system access, system reboot, system access, no system access, etc.). Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

1. Completed the following while troubleshooting.

a. Performed a server recovery and ran updates until the system was completely up-to-date.

b. Reinstalled the connector software from the X510 server on my laptop computer.

c. Added entries in both the laptop and X510 hosts files providing name and IP address information for the X510 and laptop computer.

d. Checked the router’s reserve IP address entries for both the X510 and laptop.

e. Checked the router’s IP address port forwarding configurations to ensure ports 80, 443, 3389 and 4125 were configured for directing appropriate incoming port traffic to the X510.

2. My home network environment consists of the following.

a. Netgear WNDR 3300 Router – wireless with 4 wired ports; the X510 is connected to one of the wired ports.

b. Dell XPS 420 32 bit Vista Ultimate computer. The OS is updated automatically.

c. Dell Studio XPS 1645 laptop computer running Windows 7 Professional using its wireless interface for all network traffic. However, I have used the wired ethernet port while troubleshooting the connection problem. It made no difference in the outcome. The OS is updated automatically.

d. HP DataVault X510 used mainly as a backup server with very little user/public data and web access.

3. When my laptop loses its connection to the X510, the following characteristics exist.

a. The Windows Home Server Console icon in the task bar is still blue.

b. Using the Windows Home Server Console times out with the following message.

“This computer cannot connect to your home server.Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes.”

c. Using the Remote Desktop Connection times out with the following message.

“This computer can’t connect to the remote computer. Try connecting again.If the problem continues, contact the owner of the remote computer or your network administrator.”

d. Remote access to the X510 via the web is not available.

e. The X510 responds to a ping (using both IP and host name) with 0 packets lost.

f. The Netgear router lists the X510 as an attached device.

g. All X510 lights on the front of the system are normal.

4. When I can access the X510 after a reboot, the following characteristics exist.

a. The Windows Home Server Console icon in the task bar is still blue.

b. The WHS Console provides access to the X510.

c. The Remote Desktop Connection provides access to the X510.

d. Remote access to the X510 via the web is available.

e. The X510 still responds to a ping (using both IP and host name).

f. The Netgear router still lists the X510 as an attached device.

g. All X510 lights on the front of the system are normal.

5. X510 configuration and status information

a. OS: WHS 2003 Service Pack 2

b. In the Console, Settings, Remote Access tab, “remote access” is available and the domain name is configured. Remote login via the web functions properly.

c. In the Console, Settings, Toolkit 1.1 tab, there are no connectivity issues found.

d. There are entries in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file for both the X510 and the laptop.

e. The event viewer lists the following events with a status above information.

1) Application

a) Warning - Event Code: 3005, Event ID 1309, Event Source: ASP.NET 2.0.50727.0

B)
Error – Event Code: 0, Event ID: 0, Event Source: HPModuleService

2) System

a) Error – Event ID: 1111, Event Source: TermServDevices, Note: applies to printer Fax, OneNote and an HP printer

6. Netgear router configuration information

a. Attached Devices – both my laptop and X510 are listed.

b. UPnP is turned on with the Advertisement Period set to 30 minutes and the Advertisement Time to Live set to 4.

c. There are address reservations for both the X510 and my laptop.

d. The router performs DHCP functions using RIP 1.

e. Port Forwarding is setup to forward inbound traffic for ports 80, 443, 3389 and 4125 to the X510.

Before digging too far into the errors and the software end, I would check the hardware - make sure the server is running cool, that no fans have failed, that the RAM is still OK, etc.

For the temps, check in the BIOS. For the RAM, use MemTest86.