ikon

DA Document Manager?

60 posts in this topic

I just ordered a Fujitsu S1500 ScanSnap scanner so I can start scanning bills, receipts, etc. It was a 1 day sale (today) at http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=&webid=795917&affixedcode=WW I'm now looking at what software to use.

Is anyone still using DA Document Manager? If so, are you using it on WHSv1, or have you got it to work on WHS2011?

To be honest, the DADM site http://archound.com/page5.aspx looks a little abandoned. It says, "SBS 2003 - Availabe Soon WHS "Vail"", but it's unclear whether they mean SBS 2003 will be available soon and Vail is supported, or SBS2003 is supported and Vail will be available soon. And, serioiusly, who refers to it as Vail any more?

What else are people using instead of DADM? I'm open to ideas.

I've used Paperport Professional for years and am very happy with it.

I use the program on my desktop and scan/save to share on my WHS.

All documents are saved as searchable PDFs and easily viewable remotely (i.e., remote access) as simply folders/documents.

Within the desktop application you get all the same capabilities (search, automatic form-fill of sanned images, etc) that I quickly see on the DA site.

No trial unfortunately, priced now at $199 but does go for $99 here and there on sale.

I second PaperPort. It has a bogus activation software that will occ. show excessive activations even though it is on the same computer and nothing has changed,

but otherwise it's the best I have found. And yes, I frequently get half-off alerts, also check NewEgg where I have seen it for even less from time to time.

I stopped using DA Document Manager and moved to FileCenter. I looked at a lot of them and downloaded many trials. In the end, FileCenter was my favorite and after a year or so of using it, I still like it.

Thanks very much guys. I will check them out.

I stopped using DA Document Manager and moved to FileCenter. I looked at a lot of them and downloaded many trials. In the end, FileCenter was my favorite and after a year or so of using it, I still like it.

I don't seem to be able to find out if FileCenter supports double-sided scanning. Do you know?

Yep, I do it all the time. I think the main thing you have to make sure your scanner can do double sided.

The S1500 does support it, as I understand it. It better for $500 :)

Trying to track down with Staples just where my scanner is. I was supposed to get it Tuesday! Arrrrrrgh....

Finally got the scanner today. Had a short talk with the store manager about how her staff neglected to notify me of the scanner's arrival for 4 days.

GA, my first issue. I installed the scanner drivers, and it's listed in Devices and Printers, but FileCenter does not see it. It does see my VueScan TWAIN driver, which I don't want to use for this. Any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind. I found out that the ScanSnap line doesn't have TWAIN drivers, and I'm presuming that FileCenter requires a TWAIN compliant scanner.

This scanner can scan to SharePoint. I wonder how feasible using that is? Sounds like it could be a lot of work to set up.