RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need to add Storage Soon Need help

thobel

ok I currently have a

16GB Ram

15x2TB in Raid 6 with a hot Spare running on a Arcea Raid Controller

OS is on 2x 120GB Vertex 3's in Raid 1

I want to add some sort of external array to replicate the Data for safty. I would want to do at least Raid 5 +1 Spare

Looking for high speed, Easy of Use and portability (as in able to attach to any other machine

Also this is Running 2008R2 with WHS 2011 running in Hyper V I only use WHS for backups/Remote Access

I'm using a Lian-Li EX503 external eSATA/USB3 5-bay box. It's been great.

Yeah I need something that can hold say 15-16 drives though.

As a sude note I was looking at cases, storage stuff etc and I found my future upgrade plan :)

Lian li PC-343B super server case

MB455SPF-B 5 in 3 SATA Internal Raid Backplane x6

Areca ARC-1882-IX-24 x2

Hitachi 5k 3TB x 35-38

Need to start saving :)

Edited by thobel

You might look a bit at the Icydock you have listed. They are most likely loud due to the fan configuration. Just a speculation on my part but if this server is located in the house it maybe loud if you put a bunch of these in there. Just a thought.

You might look a bit at the Icydock you have listed. They are most likely loud due to the fan configuration. Just a speculation on my part but if this server is located in the house it maybe loud if you put a bunch of these in there. Just a thought.

Can you suggest other products that can do the job?

I figure I could remove the fans and add in some 120's to cool the drives if needed

I don't see that Icy Dock doing much in the way of effective cooling with that backplane board covering the entire back of the unit. You really gotta wonder what the designers are thinking when they do something like that. I have a MediaSonic Pro box that's built the same way - the cooling sux big time.

I could have missed it but do they have a 5 drive 3 bay one? I only see 3-4 drive ones

That is correct, they only have 3-4 drives. You give up one drive however these run very cool and very quiet. In the end it is up to you but anything with 5 drives mounted very close together with an 80mm fan is going to be hot and loud and may impact the life of the drives. I have a couple of these and really like them. Just a thought.

That is correct, they only have 3-4 drives. You give up one drive however these run very cool and very quiet. In the end it is up to you but anything with 5 drives mounted very close together with an 80mm fan is going to be hot and loud and may impact the life of the drives. I have a couple of these and really like them. Just a thought.

I agree. Packing 5 drives into a 3 drive space is getting awfully tight - hardly seems like there would be room to get any amount of air between them.