RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7 Programs Not Responding

awraynor

I have a problem with Win7 that is driving me insane. Literally every Win7 machine in my house is having the problem to some degree.

By programs I mean Outlook, Win Explorer, no program is immune. The suspect software will hang and the title bar will show

"program not responding". Sometimes it will recover, sometimes you have to kill it. The Dell Zino does it, the Dell Notebook,

my older quad core box, even my Corei7 with a 3rd Gen OCZ SSD and 16GB of RAM will do it. It doesn't occur everytime, but it

will happen multiple times during a computing session.

For a short list: I have changed ISP's, modems, routers, added RAM, changed to SSD, complete new install, different AV, you name it.

Trolled forums and I tell you I am not the only one with this problem by far. My main box was built and installed by PCDoc so it can't possibly

be my good with that box.

The funny thing is my Q9550 had the problem under Win7, but it is now a Hackintosh box and it runs flawlessly; so I guess I can't blame

that hardware for the problem or the network on that particular box?

In event viewer any errors related to shadow copies, but isn't that necessary for WHS bakcups? I am going to shut that service down and see if

that helps? Any ideas, I am out of them.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• jmwills

• ikon

• fredp1

Top Posters In This Topic

I would pick the worst box and start removing what has been installed. This is a classic case of software that is driver based or running in the background.

Is every piece of software present across the network. If not, this could be malware run wild. Look in the Task Manager to see what is running,

What AV is running on the clients? Shadow Copies is not your problem.

I've started to see some strange problems on 1 of the 4 machines since the Update rollup 2 was installed.

The problem Im seeing is the client is slow, cannot run backup, cannot install windows updates (waited over 30 minutes). The uninstall to the WHS connector is taking well over 30 minutes too. Shutdowns are very slow.

I'm trying to pin it down to the update.... It could be related.

Are you running WSUS form the Server or getting updates directly from Microsoft? Your's is the first I've heard of this issue and the problems, to the best I can tell with Rollup 2, is all Server Side related.

I've started to see some strange problems on 1 of the 4 machines since the Update rollup 2 was installed.

The problem Im seeing is the client is slow, cannot run backup, cannot install windows updates (waited over 30 minutes). The uninstall to the WHS connector is taking well over 30 minutes too. Shutdowns are very slow.

I'm trying to pin it down to the update.... It could be related.

I'm not sure it's the update since not all of your 4 machines are having the issue and perhaps the update has only intensified the issues that were happening before. I would build a plain/vanilla box or VM and install nothing but the connector and begin testing.

For a short list: I have changed ISP's, modems, routers, added RAM, changed to SSD, complete new install, different AV, you name it.

Trolled forums and I tell you I am not the only one with this problem by far. My main box was built and installed by PCDoc so it can't possibly

be my good with that box.

That's a lot to change, I would caution to not make sweeping changes that effect your entire environment as the "shotgun" solution. Too often, both personally and professionally, I've seen so many options thrown in to fix a problem that no one knows if what they did fixed the issue or a culmination of events. (There was one time that we were all throwing tools and scripts and patches and registry fixes at a server only to find out the problem was on a different box.)

Good luck, can't wait to hear your results!

I have heard of a problem like this in the past with running gmail through OUtlook. It primarily affected Outlook but I heard it would affect the entire system as well. If you are running gmail through Outlook you might try removing it and see if it resolves your problems.

I have heard of a problem like this in the past with running gmail through OUtlook. It primarily affected Outlook but I heard it would affect the entire system as well. If you are running gmail through Outlook you might try removing it and see if it resolves your problems.

Another reason for me NOT to use gmail. :D

All these changes have been over the course of over a year, as the problem has persisted that long. On the new SSD I am running fully patched Win7 Ultimate with G Data AV. I just uninstalled Postbox, an Outlook alternative along with Dropbox. That leaves me with Win7, WHS connector and an AV on this box, nothing else. Yet even explorer continues to not respond. I have fully scanned the box with MSSE and G Data after booting from their respective installs, nothing found. I am at a loss as all Win7 machines on the network have programs that hang one time or another.

I've used Outlook with Gmail for years, no problems.

Just a thought, have you tried giving all your machines static IP Addresses to see if that helps. Do you have any way to test a new router (yes I see where you changed) or at least update the firmware.

Does the same issue(s) exist if you run in safe mode wiith Networking?