RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

HP Microserver

jazzerjay

It's a great box for experimenting with too!

I wiped mine and rebuilt a WHS2011 and a W7 box like Diehard asked. This afternoon I'll get a basic media center setup with some media and test around a bit. My testing time is about up as this is the weekend I need to convert to WHS2011 in production. (Or at least start the migration from the old 485)

jmwills

There was a new Microsoft release yesterday named "Private Cloud" which involves System Center and Server 2008 R2SP1. Looks interesting.....the MicroServer may be heaed for uncharted territory.

Mr_Smartepants

There was a new Microsoft release yesterday named "Private Cloud"

I can hear the theme music now..."Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!" (Rolling Stones).

ikon

I can hear the theme music now..."Hey! You! Get off of my cloud!" (Rolling Stones).

LOL, I think pretty much everyone here gets that reference :)

jazzerjay

Hopefully Diehard is keeping up with the posts. I have installed both WHS2011 (4GB RAM) and Windows 7 (2GB RAM) inside of ESXi 5. I was able to stream an 8GB movie without issue to my 360 both through the video selection and through media center running from Windows 7.

Joe_Miner

Hopefully Diehard is keeping up with the posts. I have installed both WHS2011 (4GB RAM) and Windows 7 (2GB RAM) inside of ESXi 5. I was able to stream an 8GB movie without issue to my 360 both through the video selection and through media center running from Windows 7.

Nice! ESXi is on my eventual to-do list!

jazzerjay

Nice! ESXi is on my eventual to-do list!

Here's the problem. I'm having so much fun with this Microserver that I don't want to install WHS2011. Tomorrow I'm going to install the new preview and beta and start messing around there. As discussed previously, I'll save up a few coins to get technet once server 8 is released. (Or maybe sooner)

brianmullins

Whew, I pulled the trigger on two of them puppies. One for a client (which I'll sell for considerably more than purchase price! $$$) and one for me, until I can afford a full custom build.

Thanks for thinking of us all!

Now, how long does ground shipping take to Portland? :D

Just wanted to update you all, and give some love to PC Connection Express. About 5 days after ordering this, I checked my order and noticed there was no tracking. After closer examination I noticed the order was marked 'cancelled'. I quickly got on the phone and called order support. They said that their system automatically cancelled the order, but couldn't tell why. I would have been very upset, but the nice woman I spoke with quickly offered to re-place the order, and she even gave me the original pricing, even though they'd sold out of the units at that price! Awesome! Sure nice to know that there are still a few companies that have the customer's best interest in mind.

I should have them both on Tuesday!

One other intersting tid-bit: she mentioned that, even at that price, it showed they still were showing some profit! How the heck cheap are they buying these things???

Edited by brianmullins

Joe_Miner

Just wanted to update you all, and give some love to PC Connection Express. About 5 days after ordering this, I checked my order and noticed there was no tracking. After closer examination I noticed the order was marked 'cancelled'. I quickly got on the phone and called order support. They said that their system automatically cancelled the order, but couldn't tell why. I would have been very upset, but the nice woman I spoke with quickly offered to re-place the order, and she even gave me the original pricing, even though they'd sold out of the units at that price! Awesome! Sure nice to know that there are still a few companies that have the customer's best interest in mind.

I should have them both on Tuesday!

One other intersting tid-bit: she mentioned that, even at that price, it showed they still were showing some profit! How the heck cheap are they buying these things???

This is good to know -- there no doubt will be future "deals" for the MicroServer.

PC Connection has always been a great company to deal with -- I first bought from them when I got my first hard drive, a Seagate ST-225 20MB drive for my IBM PC in the mid-80's! Had to get a new 150W power supply from them at the time since the stock PC's only had a 65W PSU. Awww the good ol' days :) Their customer service was awsome back then too!

ikon

This is good to know -- there no doubt will be future "deals" for the MicroServer.

PC Connection has always been a great company to deal with -- I first bought from them when I got my first hard drive, a Seagate ST-225 20MB drive for my IBM PC in the mid-80's! Had to get a new 150W power supply from them at the time since the stock PC's only had a 65W PSU. Awww the good ol' days :) Their customer service was awsome back then too!

Looks like the 'figured it out', which is no doubt why they're still around and so many others aren't.