RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

HP Microserver

ikon

Given the comments about relatively slow CPU, I'm going to pass this one over.

jmwills

I don't who is reporting slow, but it does the job for a server.

ikon

Joe_Miner says it isn't a good choice for transcoding and such. I expect my servers to do more than serve files. I've been burned twice now with boxes that did not meet my hopes or expectations, a Synology and an Acer H340. Don't think I'm gonna go for #3 :)

jazzerjay

Given the comments about relatively slow CPU, I'm going to pass this one over.

I think it all depends on what one would want to use this for. Like I said during Rich's podcast on Sunday, it's no speed demon but I haven't had any trouble with the tests that I've been running. I ran WHS2011 and two Windows7 VMs and an XP VM. Again, not going to be super fast, but worked without issue. For a simple file server, I can't imagine this little guy would have any trouble. Joe_Miner's hard drive tests were all while running W2k8R2 (I think he said).

Joe_Miner says it isn't a good choice for transcoding and such. I expect my servers to do more than serve files. I've been burned twice now with boxes that did not meet my hopes or expectations, a Synology and an Acer H340. Don't think I'm gonna go for #3 :)

I couldn't agree more. You've also should be concerned with I/O when transcoding for sure. I was looking at both the Acer H340 awhile back and was curious of your actual findings. (maybe in a different post? :) )

jmwills

For a File server, or a Complete Backup solution for the entire LAN, this is the perfect box for me.

jazzerjay

For a File server, or a Complete Backup solution for the entire LAN, this is the perfect box for me.

I didn't see the N40l listed in your signature, are you running WHS2011 or V1? (Sorry if I've missed your answer if you're mentioned it elsewhere)

jmwills

Yea, sig line needs updating. I am running Server 2008R2 on the N40L with 4 independent storage drives. Server 08 on a 250 gig drive (yea I know its a waste) and 4 independent 2 TB drives.

More than likely, I will transition this box over to ESXi running on an 8 gig thumb drive and use the 250 gig drive for the VM's with one VM running a dedicated backup program such as Acronis or Symantec backup Exec to pull data from the WHS, Share Point, and Exchange. This will be my COOP server and will go in another section of the house away from everything else.

If I catch another one of these at the same price point, I will get another for a good pfSense/Untangle box.

jazzerjay

Yea, sig line needs updating. I am running Server 2008R2 on the N40L with 4 independent storage drives. Server 08 on a 250 gig drive (yea I know its a waste) and 4 independent 2 TB drives.

More than likely, I will transition this box over to ESXi running on an 8 gig thumb drive and use the 250 gig drive for the VM's with one VM running a dedicated backup program such as Acronis or Symantec backup Exec to pull data from the WHS, Share Point, and Exchange. This will be my COOP server and will go in another section of the house away from everything else.

If I catch another one of these at the same price point, I will get another for a good pfSense/Untangle box.

Why is a 250GB system drive a waste? (Please forgive me because I haven't read through all of the WHS2011 posts and I wasn't even planning on going that route until this box came)

jmwills

Using that 250 gig drive for the OS is a waste when it really only needs about 60, thats why I will probably go to ESXI and use the 250 gig drive for either 2 or 3 low power VM's.

Joe_Miner

I think it all depends on what one would want to use this for. Like I said during Rich's podcast on Sunday, it's no speed demon but I haven't had any trouble with the tests that I've been running. I ran WHS2011 and two Windows7 VMs and an XP VM. Again, not going to be super fast, but worked without issue. For a simple file server, I can't imagine this little guy would have any trouble. Joe_Miner's hard drive tests were all while running W2k8R2 (I think he said).

Yes, I'm running the MicroServer with Server 2K8R2 with WHS 2011 in Hyper-V. All the Drive tests were done in Server 2K8R2.

It's a great little server and so far it has been running reliably.

More than likely, I will transition this box over to ESXi running on an 8 gig thumb drive and use the 250 gig drive for the VM's with one VM running a dedicated backup program such as Acronis or Symantec backup Exec to pull data from the WHS, Share Point, and Exchange. ........

It's a great box for experimenting with too!