RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
jmwills

HP Microserver

Joe_Miner

I saw it and it just wasn't in the cards for me today. Maybe the next version I'll look into!

Same here. Right now I see my current MicroServer keeping me pretty busy for awhile and if my 487 bites the dust next week (last year it had been giving me trouble about every 4 months) I can have a production version of 2011 up and running on the MicroServer the next day -- until that time I can "play" with the MicroServer and see what this little puppy can do -- which, surprising, I'm finding is a lot.

The MicroServer is a nice reliable box that I feel I can do things and experiment on that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing on any of my other machines. A box with a N54L would be VERY interesting, IMHO. BUT, If the prices drop much more on the N40L's it's going to get even more tempting to build that ESXi or Hyper-V cluster in the basement :)

Sure, the MicroServer isn't good for transcoding or video editing but neither is my 487. But I've read on the British and Austrailan User Group blogs that folk are putting all kinds of stuff into these boxes -- RAID cards, video cards, etc and getting some pretty surprisingly good results.

Of course I've noticed that since I've had the MicroServer (I've named it Destiny) in the house my 487 has been running very smoothly -- maybe it had to feel threatened to straighen itself up? Or maybe SkyNET (my 487 Server) is plotting it's next move :)

My wife asked my if we "needed" another server. I asked her did she need another pair of shoes? Apparently that was not the proper way to respond?

LOL, you're learning.

jazzerjay

Joe, she laughed the whole time, which makes her even more endearing.

Anyway, I think I'm done playing around with the N40L and I'm ready to move forward with the WHS2011 build. Everyone else will be out of town next weekend, so I'm thinking that's the best time to start the cut over with agents, data and physical moves of drives and servers. It will be quite a bit of work, but will still be fun!

ikon

My wife asked my if we "needed" another server. I asked her did she need another pair of shoes? Apparently that was not the proper way to respond?

You, sir, are a BRAVE man! :o

jmwills

If it pops again for that same price...I'm in for a second. Too good a deal to pass. I see the Non-ECC memory is on Tiger Direct today for $34 for 8 gigs.

jazzerjay

If it pops again for that same price...I'm in for a second. Too good a deal to pass. I see the Non-ECC memory is on Tiger Direct today for $34 for 8 gigs.

I may have slip you my phone #. :) Under $200 is quite a steal. It won't be a screamer, but I still think that's pretty good for a micro build.

jmwills

Hye, don't implicate me in your crimes! :D

brianmullins

Whew, I pulled the trigger on two of them puppies. One for a client (which I'll sell for considerably more than purchase price! $$$) and one for me, until I can afford a full custom build.

Thanks for thinking of us all!

Now, how long does ground shipping take to Portland? :D

jmwills

Mine was here in three days.

tojoski

The Microserver is $269 at Neweggbusiness.com, with a $50 promotional gift card. Use promo code MEMKTPSR50 to get an additional $50 off anything over $250.