RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
motorcycle

Restore Backup Failure

motorcycle

I completed the rollup for whs2011 . All of my files are backing up each day to the server. Well today I decided to restore one file from

the server and here is response.

The restore process did not suceed. The system can not find the path specified.

I re-installed the connector and that did not fix things

Any suggestions??

ikon

There are numerous posts in the forums about issues when trying to restore single files or small groups of files from WHS client backups. I think geekaccountant really got that ball of wax going. Restores of entire partitions work well; restores of files within a backup, not so much.

The way I get around this is I use RoboCopy to copy only my data to a share on the server. I have a scheduled task that does it each night.

I only back up the OS drives of my clients using the WHS backup. I tested a restore of the OS drive to my wife's computer last week and it worked great.

gcoupe

Yes, ikon, but I think that the issues over trying to restore single files or small groups of files boil down to one thing: restoring files and folders is horrendously slow, whereas full restores are not.

What motorcycle seems to be reporting is a failure to even get as far as mounting the backup as a drive on the client computer. Motorcyle, could you clarify exactly where and when in the restore process you get that message? It might help to pinpoint possible causes.

I've just tried a test of the restore files and folder process (I have the Rollup installed), and everything worked as expected.

motorcycle

Gcoupe you are correct I can not get the drive mounted.

The process quits at about 80%

ikon

Yes, ikon, but I think that the issues over trying to restore single files or small groups of files boil down to one thing: restoring files and folders is horrendously slow, whereas full restores are not.

What motorcycle seems to be reporting is a failure to even get as far as mounting the backup as a drive on the client computer. Motorcyle, could you clarify exactly where and when in the restore process you get that message? It might help to pinpoint possible causes.

I've just tried a test of the restore files and folder process (I have the Rollup installed), and everything worked as expected.

Thanks gcoupe; obviously I misread it.