RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Greg Welch

Upgrade Time NETGEAR GS724T-300NAS

Greg Welch

Topic is LAG , Teaming Nics , LACP

After chatting with a fellow forum enthusiast KrisseZ about LAG/LACP and some reading i went on the hunt for a

switch that fit my needs, and this is what i settled on NETGEAR GS724T-300NAS thru newegg (205.00 after rebate)

33-122-364-01.jpg

It has LACP,Jumbo frames, 24 ports

i plan on teaming a pair on server to a pair on HTPC and another pair teamed on my PC

i cant wait to test from my PC with OCZ 120GB MaxOps SSD with 500mb R/W to my Servers (Mother Load) Raid array 450mb R/W thru this switch with team ports

I will post some results to this post when i set it up,,If anyone any support to offer I'm all ears ,

The new switch is replacing my NETGEAR ProSafe GS116 i will list it for sale on the forums $100 soon (works great)

Joe_Miner

Topic is LAG , Teaming Nics , LACP

After chatting with a fellow forum enthusiast KrisseZ about LAG/LACP and some reading i went on the hunt for a

switch that fit my needs, and this is what i settled on NETGEAR GS724T-300NAS thru newegg (205.00 after rebate)

33-122-364-01.jpg

It has LACP,Jumbo frames, 24 ports

i plan on teaming a pair on server to a pair on HTPC and another pair teamed on my PC

i cant wait to test from my PC with OCZ 120GB MaxOps SSD with 500mb R/W to my Servers (Mother Load) Raid array 450mb R/W thru this switch with team ports

I will post some results to this post when i set it up,,If anyone any support to offer I'm all ears ,

The new switch is replacing my NETGEAR ProSafe GS116 i will list it for sale on the forums $100 soon (works great)

looking forward to your test results.

KrisseZ

If I remember correctly somewhere on the line I suggested the HP 1910-16G as a switch, but this NetGear seems to have all the things the HP has and even some more. Like the interesting feature of the HDMI backplane for stacking. If you want to stack the HP, you're going to have to play with the SFP ports for "poor mans" stacking.

This doesn't change the fact that I'm going to get the V1910-16G this summer, since NetGears switches aren't available for me with as reasonable price as the HP.

But if the built quality is good, which I think it will be, the NetGear offers a great deal of things and performance for the buck.

I just hope you can get the LACP working on the client side. The 2008 R2 doesn't worry me, but everything else does, since I haven't played with the Intel Pro cards or their management software.

I wish you the best of luck and wait eagerly for your results.

ikon

I guess LACP is going to be a hot topic over the next few years as more and more people look into it. I still think it is beyond the 'everyman' at the moment because most of the techniques are proprietary. I'm sure, as has happened with many other technologies, it will become standardised over time.

KrisseZ

Guess I made a too bold statement too quickly. As much as I'd love to get the V1910-16G switch from HP I just realized that it ain't a fanless model and since my only option for the switch atm is my bedroom I think I'm going to have to settle for a D-Link DGS-1210-16 http://www.dlink.co.uk/cs/Satellite?c=Product_C&childpagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLProductCarouselMultiple&cid=1197383280777&p=1197356142823&packedargs=ParentPageID%3D1197335068935%26TopLevelPageProduct%3DBusiness%26locale%3D1195806691854%26packedargs%3DProductParentID%253D1195808623774&pagename=DLinkEurope-GB%2FDLWrapper

It has much more better price / feature ratio, but it lacks STP support which kinda saddens me. (No real need for it but could have toyed with it).

Greg Welch

very nice switch, p.s. i am very happy with the netgear above. so far. so far I'm getting sustained 106- 115MB with bursts of 130+ moving lion king iso back and fourth

i havent had time to tweak it yet, but im sure ill see alot better

a nice little find: i added a dual intel nic to my zotac Z68 itx board and then installed the intel pro software thinking that the realtek's wouldnt team due to i didnt see any realtek software allowing it. well turns out that the intel pro software sees the realteks when teaming the intels and will let me add them, as well. ( thru computer management)

teaming shot

ikon

very nice switch, p.s. i am very happy with the netgear above. so far. so far I'm getting sustained 106- 115MB with bursts of 130+ moving lion king iso back and fourth

i havent had time to tweak it yet, but im sure ill see alot better

a nice little find: i added a dual intel nic to my zotac Z68 itx board and then installed the intel pro software thinking that the realtek's wouldnt team due to i didnt see any realtek software allowing it. well turns out that the intel pro software sees the realteks when teaming the intels and will let me add them, as well. ( thru computer management)

Wow, Intel will bond their own NICs with Realtek's?! That's impressive.

Greg Welch

Setting the bar high , as they say

KrisseZ

Have to admit that it's good to know that intel has such fine software bonding capabilities. I'm 100% sure this info will come handy in the future.