RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KrisseZ

A new router / firewall

ikon

Cool. Now THAT is a ghetto setup! :D

KrisseZ

Hmm... Didn't manage to get the USB installer to work. Wonder what went wrong with that. Downloaded the pfsense-memstick.img and tried with win32-diskimager and dd on fedora and with both boot just informed "NO BOOTABLE MEDIA BLAH BLAH".

So I tried one of the embedded versions. pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-4g-amd64-nanobsd_vga.img.gz this one to be exact. Used win32-diskimager to write it to a 4gb USB stick and worked like a charm. So the only thing left is to set the serial connection to the switch and the game is on.

KrisseZ

Okay. The bascis are done and I got the thing working. So browsing internet atm through a trunked one niced pfSense firewall. Feels funny.

mattd390

I worked on my pfSense install today and had issues with the port forwarding... it was weird because I had it setup perfect before.. Something to play with tomorrow I guess lol.

texasPI

Cool. Now THAT is a ghetto setup! :D

Right? But I find it appealing nonetheless. :D

KrisseZ

I enabled the DNS forwarder option and the whole system went haywire. No more internets via pfSense. It's tinkering time.... again.

EDIT: Fffuuu. By turning the system on in the morning with too little tought and some MAC spoofing later, I think I exhausted my dynamic IPs and can't get a IP for the WAN

anymore. So guess it's waiting time instead of tinkering time. :(

Edited by KrisseZ

ikon

Hmm... Didn't manage to get the USB installer to work. Wonder what went wrong with that. Downloaded the pfsense-memstick.img and tried with win32-diskimager and dd on fedora and with both boot just informed "NO BOOTABLE MEDIA BLAH BLAH".

So I tried one of the embedded versions. pfSense-2.0.1-RELEASE-4g-amd64-nanobsd_vga.img.gz this one to be exact. Used win32-diskimager to write it to a 4gb USB stick and worked like a charm. So the only thing left is to set the serial connection to the switch and the game is on.

You could also try using YUMI from http://pendrivelinux.com. It doesn't work for every ISO image, but it does for many, and it's very easy to use.

KrisseZ

Anyone with experience on pfSense and VPN connections? I can't seem to make the work.

Enabled VPN services, made the necessary firewall adjustments and it's still a no go. :(

itGeeks

Anyone with experience on pfSense and VPN connections? I can't seem to make the work.

Enabled VPN services, made the necessary firewall adjustments and it's still a no go. :(

Hi KrisseZ,

I myself am just getting into pfSense but I like what I see to this point but this is NOT for the avarge user for shure, There are way to many options that can screw things up. Anyway I have not played with the vpn in pfSense however I have done vpn in the past and I can tell you it can be allot of work to get things going, On that note have you ever looked at or tryed Logmein Hamachi? https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/ I am as well as others on this forum are using it for VPN and it works great and the best part is its FREE.

KrisseZ

Not interested in hamachi and I wouldn't consider myself as an average user either.

I got the IPsec tunnel working. (Let down with the PPTP since it seems have some sort of problem with version 2.0.0 and after. LCP negotiation failing with never windows' like vista, 7 etc.)

Still having a problem with the firewall rules or internal routing since the mobile vpn client is shoved into a virtual ip space and has no connectivity to other networks. If I try to tell IPSec to push

local network information to the client, the VPN breaks. If I try it without the virtual address space the VPN breaks. And I'm not even trying to set the client IP information manually, cause that

would be unacceptable from my point of view. Some of you might be thinking (What's the bigie in writing a IP address to a VPN client, but I want it automatically configured and that's the way I'm

going to have it.)