RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KrisseZ

A new router / firewall

yodafett

Look at the Cisco RV220w, built in ssl and IPSec VPN, gb wan, dmz for around 200. Next step would be a 5505 ASA for around 300

KrisseZ

So much input in such a short time. To address the input.

If someone can find a neat mini-ITX with one pci expansion at the back, I might consider the additional nic. Without a satisfying enclosure, it's a no.

(I admit I can be quite the bitch at times when it comes to aesthetics)

Otherwise it will going to have 2 onboard nics or the one nic'd configuration.

Secondly, I'm having a lot more hard time getting some "exotic" hardware than you guys. I can't use newegg, amazon or ebay. If I find something there they are willing to ship me, the price goes up so much that it's almost in vain and taking on account the warranty issues and stuff, I'd rather order locally or near by. Germany might be the only place that even makes sense, since the brits are even more money thirsty than finnish ppl.

In short, something you guys can get at 60$ might cost me 160$ or not available at all.

Third, I stumbled across the RV220w a few days ago. It seems to have pretty nice hw but I red that the software is quite buggy and might be even unstable. So if I'd take the Cisco way of things, it would be the ASA 5055 basic. If someone would have more info regarding the ASA 5505 I would be interested.

Anything else... yes, I just remembered I had my old server board with just one nic sitting in the closet so it can act as my pfSense testbed. And why I'm interested in the throughputs? My brother has a symmetrical 100/100mb fiber connection and I'm going to upgrade to such in the near future and we're going to VPN the connection so we can take advantage of the file servers on both ends. That's why the high throughput is a necessity.

But so far our candidates are:

pfSense

Cisco ASA 5505

More ideas and suggestions please. :)

KrisseZ

Something I would be looking for, but where in the name zeus' arse am I going to get myself one?

Well I found one locally. No confirmed date of delivery, might take months and the price is 360€ = 476$.

Any other good suggestions? :D

Edited by KrisseZ

mattd390

Something I would be looking for, but where in the name zeus' arse am I going to get myself one?

Well I found one locally. No confirmed date of delivery, might take months and the price is 360€ = 476$.

Any other good suggestions? :D

Lol, locally I guess :).

It isnt cheap, I had to pay $209 for mine. There are other mini-itx boards atom boards with single nics that sell for $80 too but I wanted the features I mentioned. It sucks that you have such a hard time getting hardware. I guess you really have to "pay to play".

jmwills

After living in Europe for three years, I can assure you that it sucks getting good equipment in a timely and decently priced manner. Now, South Korea, thats a whole new ballgame.

KrisseZ

Okay laying the pfSense aside for the time being (getting back to it once I've made some testing) I've stumbled across something that really caught my eye.

Anyone have any experience with the ZyXel USG series? especially the USG 20 and USG 50 they seem to pack all the features I need / want, throughput values seems to be quite acceptable. http://www.zyxel.com/products_services/zywall_usg_200_100_50_20w_20.shtml?t=p Both have over 100Mbps fwall through and USG 20 has 75 Mbps with VPN and USG 50 has 90 with VPN. They are priced as:

USG 20 = 180€

USG 50 = 340€

Only downside is that the models have been the same for ages. I think this is the 3rd or 4th gen of these devices, so the reviews from the 2nd gen have only little correspondence.

Thoughts?

ikon

My brother has a symmetrical 100/100mb fiber connection and I'm going to upgrade to such in the near future and we're going to VPN the connection so we can take advantage of the file servers on both ends. That's why the high throughput is a necessity.

You may have a hard time getting hardware, but you have insanely fast internet connections in Europe, and the Scandinavian countries in particular. 100 Mb symmetrical? Are you kidding? How much is that going to cost you per month?

KrisseZ

49 - 55€ / month