RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
KrisseZ

A new router / firewall

KrisseZ

Okay so I decided that it was high time I started looking for a new toy. My current router is the NetGear WNR3500L with Tomato USB with openVPN.

From the next one I demand the following features:

High throughput firewall above 100Mbps

High throughput VPN 60 - 100Mbps

IPsec VPN with at least 5 concurrent tunnels

Solid QoS functionality

802.1q

ipv6 dual stack, 6 to 4, (dhcp optional)

Preferably no integrated wlan, but I can live with it if it happens to have one

Dual wan is a plus

Lay down them ideas.

jmwills

Can you say.....Untangle/pfSense?

KrisseZ

I can, but I've never really seen any performance results. I was aiming the price at 150€ to 350€

jmwills

I've not really worked with these but I hear good things about SonicWall devices and whats the other one,...(thinking)..Astaro.

KrisseZ

Building a pfSense system that is to my tastes seems to be pretty imposible, since I can't get the kind of hardware I want. Finding a reasonably priced mini-itx mobo with dual nics seems to be impossible. Every solution tends to lead around 200€ just for the motherboard. One possibility is that I make it single nic'd but then again I'm not sure of pfSenses capabilities. I've made this kind of configs with cisco ios but not sure how to do it with bsd / linux or if they even support it properly.

Without any real experiences and vouches I think I'm going to have to let go of the DIY solution.

KrisseZ

I think I'll plunge the pfSense into a VM and see what can be done with it. Maybe even try the one nic'd config and borrow a proper switch from school to see if I can get it working as desired.

EDIT: The cost of a single nic'd system would be quite appropriate from 180€ to 220€

Edited by KrisseZ

Dave

I've got pfsense running on a $60USD HP refurb. I don't know what kind of throughput it has but i've never seen it pegged even running a handful of plug ins including packet inspection. I'm happy with it although I would like to try untangle.

Joe_Miner

Building a pfSense system that is to my tastes seems to be pretty imposible, since I can't get the kind of hardware I want. Finding a reasonably priced mini-itx mobo with dual nics seems to be impossible. Every solution tends to lead around 200€ just for the motherboard. One possibility is that I make it single nic'd but then again I'm not sure of pfSenses capabilities. I've made this kind of configs with cisco ios but not sure how to do it with bsd / linux or if they even support it properly.

Without any real experiences and vouches I think I'm going to have to let go of the DIY solution.

Have you checked the MicroServer User Boards in England and Australia? I've read thru those a lot and there seem to be many people picking up the MicroServers and adding additional NIC's to run pfSense and I believe (if I remember correctly) untangle. with the N40L the default HD and 2GB ram may be all you need plus the NIC add on. I didn't bookmark those threads and I don't know if the promotions are still going on but if they are you may have a shot of putting together a system less than 200 euro.

I have no idea what their thru-put is -- you'll have to jump on those boards and find out.

I'd appreciate if you'd let us know what you learn.

Good luck!

pcdoc

Running in a VM is not a bad way to test. Check the hardware recommendations on their site. You do not have to spend a fortune for what you are describing. FYI, I just bought a dual Intel server NIC for $60 US. If you shop around you can build a great system for a modest investment.

jmwills

Link for the NIC please.....