RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to WHS

patseguin

Hey guys,

I recently delved into XBMC and have about 2TB of media ripped already. I've been trying to figure out the best and safest way to store my data when WHS occurred to me. I know nothing about it though. I I have a tower that I built with 5x 3TB drives and it has a 500GB HD/SSD hybrid boot drive. I am currently setting it up to run unRAID but I wonder if my setup might benefit from having WHS instead.

My AMD 990FX motherboard has 6 SATA III connectors so my plan is to use the 500GB drive as my OS drive and the remaining drives for my data.

Does WHS have a software RAID like Windows 7 does and is it safe enough to use with a huge amount of important data like my ripped movies? I'm a little leary of using my onboard RAID in case the mobo goes caput. I have an LSI controller laying around but it only has 4 SATA connectors and it only supports SATA II. Any suggestions what to do? Does WHS even support RAID? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't.

Get a dedicated raid card from Highpoint and do a raid five. Don't go software raid IMO. Lose speed and the ability to pull the raid from one box to another.

Get a dedicated raid card from Highpoint and do a raid five. Don't go software raid IMO. Lose speed and the ability to pull the raid from one box to another.

I couldn't agree more and the above point about motherboard raid is covered in many posts here in this board.

@CablDeVil Is that a lil' DeViL ya got there? Very nice!

Does WHS have a software RAID like Windows 7 does and is it safe enough to use with a huge amount of important data like my ripped movies?

Yes, WHS 2011 has SW RAID built in. You can check it out at http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2011/02/10/windows-home-server-2011-drive-mirror-video-edition/

But a better solution is the PCDoc approach – an early implementation is http://homeservershow.com/adding-raid-to-whs-2011.html

I would suggest looking thru the build posts in the Forums with Highpoint 2720’s

As a good reference I would suggest checking out PCDoc’s current build and backup strategy (see the link in his Signature line).

You may also want to check out the book “Windows Home Server 2011 Unleased” and the videos at http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/1956-how-to-videos-for-sbs-2011/ (yeh, the videos are for SBS & SBSe 2011 but the functionality is the same.)

I'm a little leary of using my onboard RAID in case the mobo goes caput.

Yes, I wouldn’t trust a MB RAID solution – lose the MB and you’re data is toast.

I have an LSI controller laying around but it only has 4 SATA connectors and it only supports SATA II. Any suggestions what to do?

see above.

Does WHS even support RAID? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't.

Yes. Bad information at somewhere.

What software RAID levels are there in WHS?

0-1-5-10

Get a dedicated RAID Card, RocketRaid 2720 works good for me and is Faaaaaaaassssssssttttt