RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

paulkpetersen

ran whs the first version for years and just loved it. Last month, I had the motherboard fail on my server so i built another one. This time upgraded to WHS 2011. ran good for a month, then I recieved notice that the backup drive is almost full. So knowing full well that the 2011 does not have drive extender, but assuming that there was some workout I installed another drive. The backup drive that was full was 2gb. added another 2 gb drive. nothing happened, drive its there empty and I keep getting notices of a full drive.

Can I split the backups and have some of the computers go to one drive in the server and others go to a second? is there a non microsoft program that creates a drive extender? (this is very important data and I need reliable backups) Can I add a 3 tb hard drive to back up to?

Help! Any ideas what to do?

Welcome to the Forums. If you do some searching, there have been quite a few of drive extender replacements being developed, but I don't think that anyone of them has gone final and the consensus is that no one wants to trust their data to them yet.

When you speak of backups, are you referring to the server backups or the client backups? Two entirely different animals in 2011. The server backup has a hard limit of being able to see anything beyond 2TB in a volume, which means you could use a 3TB drive but only 2TB will be available for the server to backup to and that drive MUST be dedicated to the server backup only.

1. make sure you have another backup of the client data; one that you keep offsite. Preferably, you would have 3 copies of any and all data.
  2. I'm going to assume you meant your using 2 TB drives, not 2 GB.
  3. the 2 TB limit for server bacukps shouldn't really be an issue for the WHS OS. It seems highly unlikely you would have an OS drive even close to 2 TB. I wouldn't recommend having one that large anyway. And, let's not forget, in WHSv1, we couldn't even back up the OS drive - at least we can now do that.
  4. AFAIK, there isn't a 2 TB limit on client backups. My client backups folder is on a 6 TB RAID array. My WHS2011 sees the whole array (as drive F:) so I can't imagine it's suddenly going to stop if the backups folder gets to 2 TB.
  5. I'm thinking you might/should be able to extend your full 2 TB partition onto your 2nd drive using Disk Manager. Someone help me out here.

Server and Client backups go in two different directions, or folders. Can't quite underatnd myself why an OS backup would get full within a month with a 2TB drive. My client backups are going to the RAID 5 array too.

Can't quite underatnd myself why an OS backup would get full within a month with a 2TB drive.

me either. Perhaps he only had one 2 TB drive altogether, so the client backups are going to the same drive, along with all his other data. Maybe he's not hitting the VHD limit; maybe he's just really run out of space on the drive?

Can I split the backups and have some of the computers go to one drive in the server and others go to a second? is there a non microsoft program that creates a drive extender? (this is very important data and I need reliable backups) Can I add a 3 tb hard drive to back up to?

Answer to question 1: No - all the client backups will go to the same folder ("Client Computer Backups")

Answer to question 2: Yes, there are a couple, but as has been pointed out, they are both still effectively in beta.

Answer to question 3: You can add a 3TB drive, but WHS 2011 will partition it as a 2+1 TB discs. If you mean to add it as a Server Backup drive (rather than for shared folders and Client backups), then some 3TB drives can be used, but there can be problems with others. In any case, WHS 2011 uses the VHD format to take Server Backups, which has a maximum of 2TB anyway. You cannot, using the built-in functions of WHS 2011, take more than 2TB of your server as backup.

Edited by gcoupe

Ok, let me explain further. I am a photographer and so I have one computer that I save images on. It has two 2tb drives and a 1 tb drive. I need to add another 2tb drive that I have here sitting in a box, because one of the 2tb drives has only 303gb free. This computer is a 64 bit windows 7 ultimate.

I have another computer with one 2 tb drive about 1/2 full

I have a third computer with a 1tb drive only about 25% full

Finally I have a laptop with 350 gb drive, it is about 75% full

So for a long time I have this windows home server running the old version, motherboard croaks...set it up with a new mb and start the backup

THe WHS has a 3 gb hard drive that it partitiond into a partition witht he operating system and a 2 tb drive. then I have three additional 2 tb hard drives in the WHS. THe last one I installed last week and it has nothing on it. THe notice said that a drive was getting full and to add more storage, and I did. and it just sits there.

I have not set up a backup of the WHS yet, so no storage is allocated to that.

What should I do? have I passed the abilities of the whs system and need a differnt backup option. I ONLY USE the WHS for backup.

You are going to have to RAID those drives in order to use them for storage. Client backups can only go to one folder. If it were me, I would get a spindle 160 drive or a smaller SSD, load WHS on it, RAID 5 the 3 x 2TB drives for storage, and use the 3TB for server backups. This will leave you a 1TB for additonal storage to copy from the client backups.

You are going to have to RAID those drives in order to use them for storage. Client backups can only go to one folder. If it were me, I would get a spindle 160 drive or a smaller SSD, load WHS on it, RAID 5 the 3 x 2TB drives for storage, and use the 3TB for server backups. This will leave you a 1TB for additonal storage to copy from the client backups.

I agree. It sounds like he has indeed really run out of disk space and needs to RAID the drives together in some fashion to get more space.

ok, excuse my ignorance...can I tke 2 2 gb drives, make them into a raid array and us them for backup getting a 4 gig backup folder? or is the client backup folder limited to 2 gb?

if I can and do take 2 gb drives and make a 4g array, what raid level do you suggest.

do I need to make the array at the hardware level or does WHS allow you to make a raid array at the server level?