RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can you still find v1 for sale?

IndyLux

Hi Guys,

I've got a friend who bought an HP Media Smart Server on my recommendation (we all have friends like that, right?). Anyway, it died on him. The data is safe, but he wants to buy / build a new server.

1) Am I wrong in steering him towards building a new version 1 system? Both he and I are used to it and drive extender is important to us.

2) Where can he get an OEM copy of WHSv1? It's not on NewEgg anymore nor can I find it on eBay.

Thanks guys,

Chris

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndyLux

• jazzerjay

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

PS, he is a little frustrated that he has to buy the software at all since he has a 'copy' with his mediasmart server that no longer works and he would like to transfer the license from the dead machine to his new one. That's not possible, right?

yeah, Technically, he doesn't have a copy; rather, his MSS has a copy. If it's dead, so is the software. That said, I have heard that a lot of people do transfer licenses to new hardware :rolleyes:

I do have an OEM copy, but it's for my Acer H340, not an MSS :(

Well, let me clarify...I have both, the HP OEM and a couple of Retail Copies. I read OEM and my brain was thinking NewEgg. One in the same to me, on most days.

I may have burned an image of the HP, if my best practices are up to date.

Hi Guys,

I've got a friend who bought an HP Media Smart Server on my recommendation (we all have friends like that, right?). Anyway, it died on him. The data is safe, but he wants to buy / build a new server.

1) Am I wrong in steering him towards building a new version 1 system? Both he and I are used to it and drive extender is important to us.

2) Where can he get an OEM copy of WHSv1? It's not on NewEgg anymore nor can I find it on eBay.

Thanks guys,

Chris

1) IMHO – I wouldn’t put $ into a V1 build unless I needed to until I could complete a transition to WHS 2011.

If my V1 bit the dust right now and I needed a new system I would spend my $ to transition to WHS 2011 and mirror my drives (RAID 1 via 2011's SW). I like my V1 but it is getting a little long in the tooth and it would be nice to not worry about where my 32b drivers are when I do a restore on my 64b systems.

2) Check Frys http://www.frys.com/product/5790192?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG -- Fry’s calls it Windows Home Server 2008 but I believe they are talking about V1.

$124.99? Wow...way to NOT beat out the competition Frys! I paid $50 for mine and felt cheated. :) That being said, I'm all better now with additional testing.

I've found that if the supply chain has dried up many times Frys will have a few left but they will want a premium. :)

Edited by Joe_Miner