RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
memman

Accessing WHS 2011 Shares on My Android Tablet

memman

I am having an access problem trying to mount WHS 2011 shared files/folders on my Android tablet. This may be an easy solution, but it is eluding me. After installing WHS 2011, I can remotely access WHS by ***.homeserver.com and I can access via remote desktop. However, there are times when I need to access remotely files on the WHS server. I need to upload, download, rename files to/from my Android tablet. There are file manager apps such as CIFS Manager, ES File Explorer, etc that allow remote files/folders to be mounted, but I cannot get the proper URL to get these apps to find the WHS file server. If I am on my local network, I can use a local IP address (e.g., 192.168.1.120) with any of these Android apss to mount. But when I go remote, none of these apps will accept my DynDns address or ***.homeserver.com. I have forwarded ports 80 and 443 in my router to point to the local WHS IP address. This is driving me crazy. Have I missed the obvious here?

ikon

You may be having a port conflict on your router. Try forwarding port 8080 on you WAN port to port 80 on your WHS, and port 80443 on your WAN port to port 443 on your WHS.

From outside your LAN, you would type http://<myserver>.homeserver.com:8080 and https://<myserver>.homeserver.com:80443. This will ensure you're not using any ports that your router may be using for itself.

jmwills

This is more of an Android issue being able to open those files, IMO. I fought it and gave up. The files I was able to get to with an App.

ikon

This is more of an Android issue being able to open those files, IMO. I fought it and gave up. The files I was able to get to with an App.

thanks jmwills. I don't have an Android device, but it sure sounded like a port forwarding issue, especially after he mentioned 80 and 443.

jmwills

i think the APP name I used is called ECS Explorer or something like that. Just remember your SAMBA syntax..

ikon

Just remember your SAMBA syntax..

Of God, I remember spending a week one night trying to fathom SAMBA way back in the 90s (I think).

memman

Thanks to both jmwills and ikon. It is not a file recognition problem, because I can't even as far as trying to open file. I simply can't get the folder to mount.

to jmwills - I am no certain how to do what you suggest. How do I forward a WAN port to a WHS port? Also, 8080 is in use. Can I use another unused port?

ikon

Can I use another unused port?

Absolutely. How bout using 3380 and 33443? Baiscally you can use anything between 1025 and 65535.

jmwills

I'm not talking about forwarding ports....no need to. Android is just a little screwy about mounting those shares.

ikon

I'm not talking about forwarding ports....no need to. Android is just a little screwy about mounting those shares.

Sorry, didn't mean to stomp on your point; I was only trying to clear up how port forwarding works, but you obviously know way more than me about using Android to access shares.