RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

help me decide between HP microserver vs Synology NAS

capall

Thanks everyone for the feedback,

I had another think about what I’m trying to do and realized that I should have first decided on the setup I needed and then found the appropriate hardware (PC/NAS/WHS) to solve it rather than narrowing it down to certain products first.

Along with wanting client backup with images, I’d also like to do the following

-Music;

A DIY / low cost system to stream music around the house to 6-8 zones, and be able to control via iphone/ipad. This limits me to software such as itunes, JRMC, casatunes and hardware of either apple express ‘s or PCI sound cards, both require a PC running 24/7. Handheld apps seem to run mostly on a PC. I could have the music on a NAS or WHS and have the software point to it. Either way a low power PC is best suited. Server can either store the music or back it up from the Music PC. I also want to be able to stream my music to my phone, but it seems this works best from a server (NAS/WHS).

-Video;

I’d like to be able to playback some video on a TV, possibly using media streamers such as ATV2, WD live, with play back software such as Plex, XBMC, which could pull content from a PC/NAS/WHS or use a HTPC with WMC..or PLex / XBMC etc

-Photos; same interface as video, but would also like to be able to stream away from home, which again, seems to work best from a server.

I feel like I’m going around in circles.

It’s as if the best solution to serve the content inside the home is from a PC and from a server to outside the home, but surely there’s an easy way to combine all this.

I also kinda feel that if using a server for client backups, its best to keep that separate from the media server, but then that suggest using 2 servers (backups and content serving).

Any configuration suggestions are much appreciated?

Thanks

Congratulations on the change in tactics. It's always the best idea to identify what you want the system to do when it's done, then research potential ways to accomplish that.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jsox,

Went with a microserver, and almost have it set up. I have a few other post out there asking Q's, and I'll pick one to document my final system,