RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
TommySharp

2011 HP ex490 locks up when transferring files - EARS?

TommySharp

I recently rebuilt my HP EX490 server after it stopped booting WHS v1.

My system drive is a 2TB EARS drive without jumpers as everything I've read says with 2011 nothing special is required to use EARS drives with the advanced format stuff.

However now that I'm transferring large amounts of data from my old drives back into the new server I'm having issues where the server is almost non responsive, streaming anything from the server is awful as the video judders and pauses..... The quad core CPU in the server is doing pretty much nothing and network traffic is zero on the server. The transfers from old drives to my new EARS system disk are about 40Megabytes per second...

If I cancel the transfer then everything speeds up and works perfectly.

When I transfer files between my old non-EARS drives in the server I'm getting transfer speeds of about 90 megabytes per second which is great and the server doesn't slow down at all... This is what is making me suspect the EARS system drive....

Has anyone experienced anything like this or does anyone have any ideas of what I should look out for to try and resolve this? I'd expect a quad core CPU machine to be able to keep up with almost anything......

ikon

Couple things I can think to look at: are the EARS drives configured AHCI? What is the RPM of the non-EARS drives?

pcdoc

There are no requirements for running the EARS drive in 2011 as it is completely compatible with the advanced format. That said, that does not mean there is not an issue with your drive/controller. You can try the toggling the AHCI but it all portability you have something wrong in that particular drive. Was it out of the box or was re-aligned to use V1 in the past?

msawyer91

There are no requirements for running the EARS drive in 2011 as it is completely compatible with the advanced format. That said, that does not mean there is not an issue with your drive/controller. You can try the toggling the AHCI but it all portability you have something wrong in that particular drive. Was it out of the box or was re-aligned to use V1 in the past?

I have both an EX487 and an EX490 and each server has a hodgepodge of drives, Seagate, Hitachi and WD, These things are the Heinz 57's of drives. Not including USB drives, the EX490 has a Seagate, 2 x WD EADS and a Hitachi Deathstar, all 1 TB; the external Rosewill case has 4 x 2 TB Hitachi Deathstars. The EX487 has a pair of identical Seagates (1 TB each) and 2 x 2 TB drives--one Seagate and one WD (EARX). So while I personally don't have any of the EARS drives, I do have WD Green drives and WD Green AFDs. I don't have a lick of trouble from any of them, and to add to the complexity, they're part of a Drive Bender pool AND they're BitLocker encrypted.

pcdoc raises a good point here. If the drive was re-aligned, the WHS 2011 installation should have whacked and rebuilt the partition structure, so any misalignment conditions would have been corrected. He also mentioned the possibility of a bad drive. Try installing the Home Server SMART 2012 add-in and see if any drive health issues are detected. Second, did you upgrade the storage controller driver? If you want to get the LEDs working on the EX490 this is a requirement. The WHS 2011 default driver is generic; you need to download the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, and you should also grab the latest Silicon Image driver for the SiI card for the eSATA port, essential for running an external case.

Matt