RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Joe_Miner

Drive Performance on N40L MicroServer

Joe_Miner

Recently got a N54L and one of the things I had been wanting to try in the MicroServer was the RocketRAID 2720 card --

Just for fun I put 2 Crucial M4's in RAID0 and the performance, as I expected, is simply amazing!  This is consistent with what NoControl did in Crucial Crucible -- SSD Testing but it sure was fun to run the test myself!!

gallery_1229_27_113712.jpg

And here's the performance of 2 of the HP/Seagate Stock 250GB drives (one comes standard in a N40L or N54L) in RAID0 on a RR2720.  Nice performance IMHO!

gallery_1229_27_138420.jpg

Just an update: I moved this RR2720 and the HP drives to a N40L that has had the BIOS-MOD flashed -- everything works in the N40L as in the N54L (just a little slower :) )

Joe_Miner

Here's the performance of 3 of the HP 250GB stock drives in RAID0 with a RR2720 in a N40L

gallery_1229_27_109244.jpg

ikon

Pretty decent performance for HDDs JM :)

Joe_Miner

Over in Performance Tests w RR2720 in a N40L I re-ran some of the above tests and ran a few more with my os on a RAID0 seperate from the RAID's I was testing -- surprisingly to me is that the VB0250EAVER's perform pretty well when in RAID and being as small as they were (250GB) they were quick in building RAID5's & 6's.

One Drive

clip_image008.jpg

Two in RAID0

clip_image010.jpg

Three in RAID0

clip_image012.jpg

Four in RAID0

clip_image018.jpg

Using the 250GB drives again with a RR2720....

RAID5 with 3 Drives

clip_image014.jpg

RAID 5 with 4 Drives

clip_image020.jpg

RAID 6 with 4 Drives

clip_image022.jpg

RAID 10 with 4 Drives

clip_image024.jpg

jmwills

Two is better than three?

Joe_Miner

And then I tried 4 ST3000DM001's in a RAID 10

clip_image028.jpg

Three in RAID0 is about 50% faster transfer than two drives in RAID0 or 2 drives in RAID0 have ~ 2/3 the performance of 3 drives in RAID0.............

clip_image006.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

This is what I saw testing one White Lable VelociRaptor:

gallery_1229_27_76100.jpggallery_1229_27_9503.jpggallery_1229_27_37833.jpg

If you take two of the above VR's attached to the SATA II Ports in a N40L and SW stripped them (i.e. RAID0) via Disk Manager in the OS then:

gallery_1229_27_52805.jpg

Three SW stripped (RAID 0) in Disk Manager of the OS gives you:

gallery_1229_27_46895.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

ikon

Are you looking at the graphs, or the numbers? Don't look at those stupid ATTO graphs. I wish they would offer an option to have a fixed scale on the graphs. The way ATTO auto-adjusts the scale makes it hard to quickly compare results visually.

Three SW stripped (RAID 0) in Disk Manager of the OS gives you:

Dang JM; them's SSD speeds :)

Edited by Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

Are you looking at the graphs, or the numbers? Don't look at those stupid ATTO graphs. I wish they would offer an option to have a fixed scale on the graphs. The way ATTO auto-adjusts the scale makes it hard to quickly compare results visually.

Three SW Mirrored (RAID 0) in Disk Manager of the OS gives you:

Dang JM; them's SSD speeds :)

It's way better than what you're going to get with an SSD on a SATA II (3Gb/s) port and if I had a 4th VR I think I could have gotten to the same territory I'm getting on my VM drive in my Z77

clip_image011.jpg

ikon

Thanks for posting the results JM. I've read about VRs for years, but never had any actual performance results to view. They are as impressive in use as they are to look at when mounted in the IcePack adapter.