RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Savvy

Issue connecting to WHS 2011 with LogMeIn

Savvy

Connecting to WHS 2011 with LogMeIn

Hi all,

I have a logmein remote desktop issue that would appreciate any comments on.

Scenario:

I can remote desktop access into my WHS 2011 from any machine on my home network just fine, however, when I try to RD using logmein I get 2x consoles both unable to connect;

1. WHS2011\Administrator – Disconnected

*Displays black screen with the following message – THE TERMINAL SERVER DISPLAY IS INACTIVE

2. Physical console – no user logged On

*Displays ctrl-alt-delete logon screen but can’t send ctrl-alt-delete or ctrl-alt-insert request.

I’ve carried out some troubleshooting and have found the following:

• all tests carried out with eset firewall disabled
  • and using Administrator user account (logmein and RD)

1. If I have an active LAN remote desktop to WHS2011 then logmein works fine over WAN (tested outside of home network)
  2. Logmein has reboot options in the prefences>advance section. If I reboot the WHS (not ideal), then I can access fine using logmein (outside home network)
  3. Instead of just closing a LAN remote desktop session to WHS, I have tried logoff, disconnect and lock.

So to summarise, I can use logmein to connect to whs2011 if it’s a clean boot up, but once I have connected on the LAN it locks up

Any ideas?

Savvy

jmwills

Logmein requires Java Scripting in order to run so make sure that is enabled on both ends, They have recently update the client software a couple of times this year so, if nothing else works, I would remove the software from that machine, delete form your console, and reinstall it. All in all, about a 2 minute process.

Savvy

Logmein requires Java Scripting in order to run so make sure that is enabled on both ends, They have recently update the client software a couple of times this year so, if nothing else works, I would remove the software from that machine, delete form your console, and reinstall it. All in all, about a 2 minute process.

Hi Jmwills, sorry I forgot to mention that I have installed all recent updates as well as removed and reinstalled on both client and console (logmein site).

All posts I find from Google mention the that the terminal server display error is commonly caused by installing logmein through a remote desktop session. however I actually installed it locally.

jmwills

You installed the update that turns off the remote display when you login from LogMeIn. No reason why your session should not be allowed to continue.

pcdoc

Interesting, I use logmein with WHS 2011 everyday with not issues and no special configurations doing exactly what you described. It sounds like something else on your network is attached to you server. Have you tried it with any of the clients shutdown to see if it could possibly be on of the computers connected to it?

tojoski

I set up a WHS2011 box a few months ago for a friend's dad, I logmein into it about once a week to check on it..

Did you by chance install logmein from a remote desktop session? That might be giving it issues..

edit: just read where you said you installed it locally.. very bizarre issue, have you tried updating your graphics driver?

Edited by tojoski

Savvy

You installed the update that turns off the remote display when you login from LogMeIn. No reason why your session should not be allowed to continue.

Nope, no settings turned on that turns off remote display that I can find.

Interesting, I use logmein with WHS 2011 everyday with not issues and no special configurations doing exactly what you described. It sounds like something else on your network is attached to you server. Have you tried it with any of the clients shutdown to see if it could possibly be on of the computers connected to it?

I will try shutting down all clients and then attempt to connect again, any idea of which service it could be?

I set up a WHS2011 box a few months ago for a friend's dad, I logmein into it about once a week to check on it..

Did you by chance install logmein from a remote desktop session? That might be giving it issues..

edit: just read where you said you installed it locally.. very bizarre issue, have you tried updating your graphics driver?

Yep googled as much as I could before posting, so I definitely know its not the installation.

I haven’t tried updating GPU drivers, but if they were at fault logmein wouldn’t work at all right?

ikon

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you want to use LogMeIn. I use RDP to access mine and it works just fine.

pcdoc

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering why you want to use LogMeIn. I use RDP to access mine and it works just fine.

Can not speak for him but me I have several reasons. For starters, I can every system (even those with Home Premium) available to me on one page. RDP does not work on versions less than professional without a hack. Secondly Logmein is more secure than RDP. Lastly, I can also have systems outside my network also attached to it along with those on the same network. In addition, every system is independent so if something gets hosed such as this silly roll-up, I can still access my systems even if the server is down. For me it is a better and more versatile solution than using RDP.

ikon

I don't know about the security aspects of the 2 (I'm under the impression that MS has done quite a bit to secure RDP, but I could certainly be mistaken). I don't have the issue of not being able to get to my computers because the server is down; I RDP into all of them directly. I guess that kinda makes all of mine independant too.