RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Update Rollup 2 for Windows Home Server 2011 is available- KB2630434

fredp1

Media streaming is working again... turned off the Media Server from the Server Settings Dashboard and restarted the Media server. Both the PS3 and WD work fine.

Did they not fix issues related to not being able to install connectors in the first place or not being able to restore a computer? These are two of the most frequent problems and I see no mention of this? If it were mentioned, then I would consider upgrading given they addressed the media issues.

I would not install the roll up just yet. I just experienced the joy of installing it. The update breaks a health status and flags a a "Computers Monitoring Error" periodically. It is hitting the all the other forums and I just went through it myself. MS has issued fixes and apparently a break as well. I had to remove the roll-up, uninstall all 9 connector software installations, then re-install them all. 3 hours of my life I will not get back. I suggest that people hold off on the roll-up and only do the other updates.

Weird, I've updated all my machines without any issues.. but I've gotten use to the random health monitoring and random services not running...no additional ones after the update though

Edited by tojoski

Just checked Programs and Features on my WHS2011. It appears I don't have Update Rollup 2. I got a bunch of updates yesterday, including Update Rollup KB2630434, but nothing that actually says Rollup 2.

Install went well, i did remove the connector prior to the install, would have been cool to see something new like a connection into windows 8 in addition the bug fixes. i am not complaining though

Did they not fix issues related to not being able to install connectors in the first place or not being able to restore a computer? These are two of the most frequent problems and I see no mention of this? If it were mentioned, then I would consider upgrading given they addressed the media issues.

ITTOG, I think that problem still exists. I've followed all the great many steps that I've read on MSDN, TechNet and a number of other Microsloth forums. That problem of the installation getting all the way to 99% and then rolling back seems to be a thorn in a lot of sides. The steps fixed the installs on some PCs, but I had a Vista x64 machine that would not get that sucker to install no matter what I did. The result was always the same--the main install always failed with Windows Installer error code 1603 (the generic catch-all), and in the log the module that failed was the esSetup.exe, which always exited with the code 0x3. This clearly indicates something dies deep within the bowels of esSetup.exe, because most applications that end in success return 0x0.

So, putting on my geek hat I fixed this problem very easily. I fired up Visual Studio 2010 and created a new application, with an output name of esSetup.exe. The code was very simple...it had a main method that returned an integer type. I captured the arguments so I could see what it was passing--clearly setup information was being handed off to perform the Windows Media Center crap--crap I didn't want or need on this particular PC anyway.

The last line of code in the main method was very simple: "return 0x0;"

So when the Connector software was downloaded, I quickly replaced Microsoft's esSetup.exe with my own. When it was invoked and returned 0x0, the progress bar shot from 50% to 100% instantly and said successful installation!

Supported by Microsloth? Probably not. But all I wanted was to back up the PC, and that was accomplished by this quick and dirty fix. :)

Weird, I've updated all my machines without any issues.. but I've gotten use to the random health monitoring and random services not running...no additional ones after the update though

It is not happening to everyone and it is not all the time. Here is one of many links that discusses it. If you go to your dashboard, click on alerts, and hit refresh, it you have it may force the issue to surface. Happened on my main server not my VM server. I unfortunately am to anal and go crazy when there is an error message. If you guys are not experiencing the issue then great but if you do, remove the roll up and all well be well.

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/topic/22967-computer-monitoring-error/