RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Just installed Blu-Ray drive, question on driver

eagle63

Hey guys, I just installed a Samsung Blu-Ray drive (SH-B123L) in my HTPC. I was expecting to find a specific driver for this drive either on Samsung's site or on the included DVD that came with the drive. All I can find, however, is a "firmware update". I never knew blu-ray drives had firmware, but apparently they do? (or at least this one does) Anyway, I'm on the latest firmware, but when I look in Windows device manager it shows the driver as a Microsoft provided driver from 2006.

The drive seems to work fine so far, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but is it weird that Samsung doesn't seem to provide their own drivers for it? Especially for something like a blu-ray drive, I would think there would be something newer/better/etc than some old driver from 2006...

Hey guys, I just installed a Samsung Blu-Ray drive (SH-B123L) in my HTPC. I was expecting to find a specific driver for this drive either on Samsung's site or on the included DVD that came with the drive. All I can find, however, is a "firmware update". I never knew blu-ray drives had firmware, but apparently they do? (or at least this one does) Anyway, I'm on the latest firmware, but when I look in Windows device manager it shows the driver as a Microsoft provided driver from 2006.

The drive seems to work fine so far, so I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but is it weird that Samsung doesn't seem to provide their own drivers for it? Especially for something like a blu-ray drive, I would think there would be something newer/better/etc than some old driver from 2006...

That is pretty normal. Firmware is important for compatibility with BD movies and protection schemes.

as pcdoc says, the firmware updates are to allow the drive to handle newer types of disks, whether the disk has newer Blu-Ray features (e.g. 3D) or it incorporates new copy protection schemes. The interface between the drive and Windows has been pretty much standardised for a number of years, so it doesn't really need to change much.