RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Does WHS 2001 support loading RAID drivers during install

coxhaus

Well I have a UEFI-based system motherboard which supports GPT partitions for boot. I have changed OS on the RAID before. As long as WHS 2011 does not do something weird I should be OK. I will copy off the important data off the data partition just in case.

Thanks for all the help and will let you know how it works out. I have the software on order from Newegg as my local Fry’s was sold out and they are not sure when they would get more copies in. I think WHS 2011 will be my new retirement software as I do not like domain and policy management. I only have 6 users. I seem to spend more time working on domain and policy management than I do with what I want to change. I still maintain a Cisco router with untangle behind it. Untangle is the best I have seen for what I use it for. I have a small business server domain with exchange which I have run almost 10 years. I am phasing it out and moving my email to Gmail. I think WHS 2011 will fit me perfect and reduce my management immensely.

What do you mean for backups? Will my backups not work or will I just be limited to 2 terabyte?

When you install Windows HomeServer 2011, it automatically creates a 60GB boot drive for the operating system ( C ), the remaining will automatically be allocated to your data drive ( D ).

That 60GB drive will backup just fine regardless of whether it resides on a raid array or single disk, but the data partition itself cannot be backed up as a whole if it is greater than 2TB. You can select file and folders from that drive for individual backup but they cannot exceed 2TB.

I have that same raid card, its a solid card, but I opted to keep my OS on an SSD.

Edited by tojoski

Well I have a UEFI-based system motherboard which supports GPT partitions for boot. I have changed OS on the RAID before. As long as WHS 2011 does not do something weird I should be OK. I will copy off the important data off the data partition just in case.

Thanks for all the help and will let you know how it works out. I have the software on order from Newegg as my local Fry’s was sold out and they are not sure when they would get more copies in. I think WHS 2011 will be my new retirement software as I do not like domain and policy management. I only have 6 users. I seem to spend more time working on domain and policy management than I do with what I want to change. I still maintain a Cisco router with untangle behind it. Untangle is the best I have seen for what I use it for. I have a small business server domain with exchange which I have run almost 10 years. I am phasing it out and moving my email to Gmail. I think WHS 2011 will fit me perfect and reduce my management immensely.

What do you mean for backups? Will my backups not work or will I just be limited to 2 terabyte?

You can restore to a RAID only if partitioned as an MBR not GPT. You can back up "to" the RAID partition for both GPT or MBR. To clarify the one point of what tojoski said, if for some reason your array was to crash, WHS nor server 2008R2 would restore a GPT partition. You are limited to 3rd party backup solutions for that. You could however restore to a RAID as he stated if the RAID is MBR and less than 2T. I have a UEFI MB as well and have tried it and can assure you it does not work. You are welcome to give it whirl but make you sure you have a second copy of your data as you are heading into danger. Do not confuse "works with" and "restores to" when it comes to GPT. We covered this quite a bit in the early BYOB when all three of us tried to go down this road.