RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Making a Thumb Drive Bootable

mailman1988

I made a clone of my WHS v1 to a new Thumb Drive.

I cannot get any computer (I've tried 3 different) to Boot from this drive. Any ideas on how to make this exsiting clone to be Bootable?

I know that there is a HP tool to make a Thumb Drive bootable, however, you must "Load" the OS onto it directly. Since I just did a clone and not loaded the OS.

Ideas?

I think his real question is, "How can I make the USB stick bootable and then clone my WHS v1 OS drive to it?".

What I'm wondering is if he could clone to the USB and then make it bootable with the HP utility.

I would try copying the image file to a hard disc (I presume it has an .iso extension) and then use either the Windows7USB/DVD download tool or Image burn to make a bootable nerd stick.

Since he cloned his working OS drive, I don't imagine there is an ISO at all. It might work if a way can be found to make an ISO file from the OS drive. I tried to find a utility to make an ISO from a USB stick but came up empty.

If this is a 2011 box, you could create a VHD image and convert to an ISO image.

bzzzzzt, sorry, no prize for you, but thank you for playing our game (as per "I made a clone of my WHS v1 to a new Thumb Drive.") :D

Guest no-control

1. Plug in your USB drive

2. Go to Start -> Run, type cmd hit enter. That should bring in the command prompt. (I hope you are running as an adminstrator)

3. Type

diskpart

list disk

The number of your USB drive will listed. You’ll need this for the next step. I’ll assume that the USB flash drive is disk 3.

4. Now type and execute these steps one by one

select disk 3

clean

create partition primary

select partition 3

active

format fs=NTFS

assign

exit

That will just to make your disk formatted and ready with partitions.

5. Insert your Windows Vista / 7 DVD into your drive.

6. Change directory to the DVD’s boot directory where bootsect lives:

d:

cd d:\boot

7. Use bootsect to set the USB as a bootable NTFS drive prepared for a Vista/7 image. I’m assuming that your USB flash drive has

been labeled disk G:\ by the computer. So,

bootsect /nt60 g:

You can now close the command prompt window.

8. Now you need to copy the installation DVD to your USB drive. The best way to do it is to use Windows Explorer and that will copy

all the files to your USB drive.

9. Now set up your BIOS to boot from USB. and you are done.

Enjoy.