RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Backup/Restore with mirrored drives? GPT Disks?

DNA datacom

Windows admin guides say no to backup/restore when dealing with mirrored drives and GPT disks:

GUID Partition Table partitions

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. GPT is not supported for computer full system restore.

RAID and dynamic disks

Backing up hardware redundant array of independent disks (RAID) is supported. Backing up software redundant array of independent disks (RAID) and dynamic disks is not supported.

QUESTIONS: (MIRRORED DRIVES)

SO can you employ mirrored drives (Windows Disk Mgmt) on your SERVER and still safely use SERVER backup/restore?

Same holds true then, for "Firmware" RAID (motherboard/chipset controlled) ?

WHat about client machines that employ software mirrorred drives (Windows Disk Mgmt) - can they safely backup to/restore from WHS 2011 (Assuming the server does NOT use Mirrored drives, just the client does)

Same for "Firmware" RAID (MB/chipset controlled)?

What about if the client machine employs a single disk, but the Server employs mirrored drives -can the client safely backup to and restore from that servers mirror?

QUESTIONS (GPT DISKS)

So sounds like I cant have my client machines that have GPT disks (IE: my dual-boot hackintosh's) safely use backup/restore to my WHS?

What about a client machine that employs MBR but with a server that employs GPT disks? Can this MBR disk/machine backup to/restore from that servers GPT disk?

Thanks

Windows admin guides say no to backup/restore when dealing with mirrored drives and GPT disks:

GUID Partition Table partitions

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a standard for the layout of the partition table on a physical hard disk. GPT is not supported for computer full system restore.

RAID and dynamic disks

Backing up hardware redundant array of independent disks (RAID) is supported. Backing up software redundant array of independent disks (RAID) and dynamic disks is not supported.

QUESTIONS: (MIRRORED DRIVES)

SO can you employ mirrored drives (Windows Disk Mgmt) on your SERVER and still safely use SERVER backup/restore?

Same holds true then, for "Firmware" RAID (motherboard/chipset controlled) ?

WHat about client machines that employ software mirrorred drives (Windows Disk Mgmt) - can they safely backup to/restore from WHS 2011 (Assuming the server does NOT use Mirrored drives, just the client does)

Same for "Firmware" RAID (MB/chipset controlled)?

What about if the client machine employs a single disk, but the Server employs mirrored drives -can the client safely backup to and restore from that servers mirror?

QUESTIONS (GPT DISKS)

So sounds like I cant have my client machines that have GPT disks (IE: my dual-boot hackintosh's) safely use backup/restore to my WHS?

What about a client machine that employs MBR but with a server that employs GPT disks? Can this MBR disk/machine backup to/restore from that servers GPT disk?

Thanks

Here is my input to your questions:

Question 1: Yes, it is the format not whether or not you use disk mgt or hardware.

Question 2: As long as the drives are under 2T, you can backup and restore regardless of software or hardware RAID

Question 3: Yes as long as the drive/mirror is under 2T

Question 4: That is correct. You can backup the files but can not restore the partition using the built in software.

Question 5: This will work as long as you do not need to backup share on a GPT

In general if you plan on using GPT such as RAID or large volume drives like 3T you need to consider a third party backup solution such as Acronis. You can use GPT disks in a server, however they can not be backed up. For example you could take 2x3T drives set them up in a mirror and safely use them with no issues however you could not restore this configuration using the windows backup but you could however restore from them to a client. To prevent problems it is best to consider other alternatives.

thanks for the quick and detailed reply..

So, sounds like using windows mirror on my server is not an issue in any regard..

same for my client machine with mirrored drives..

So, what did microsoft mean exactly by that scary statement in the admin guide?

about not supporting software raid for backup/restore?

also, is it expected behavior that when i run whs backup on my client that has mirrored drives the backup size is twice that of the single mirror?

(meaning 2 mirrored 1TB drives = 1TB of redundant data) yet it seems like it backs up the data as 2tb, not as 1 drive or 1TB. Doesnt it know/care that it's a mirror?)

thanks for the quick and detailed reply..

So, sounds like using windows mirror on my server is not an issue in any regard..

same for my client machine with mirrored drives..

So, what did microsoft mean exactly by that scary statement in the admin guide?

about not supporting software raid for backup/restore?

also, is it expected behavior that when i run whs backup on my client that has mirrored drives the backup size is twice that of the single mirror?

(meaning 2 mirrored 1TB drives = 1TB of redundant data) yet it seems like it backs up the data as 2tb, not as 1 drive or 1TB. Doesnt it know/care that it's a mirror?)

Just to be clear, they do not support raid in terms or restoring "to" a raid volume. You can however store you client backups from WHS 2011 to a mirrored volume. Confusing I know.

I'm def confused..!

I may just have to test it all, see for myself...best way to learn...although I was hoping to avoid the time I'll spend of this exercise - but I can't sleep good not knowing for sure how my data/machines will react in these scenarios

I have wayyy too many projects and machines running in my home to not be 100% sure what works with what

• 3 weeks later...

So I have a twist on this issue I think. I decided to purchase my first SSD and found an OCZ Agility 3 60gb drive on sale at New Egg for $60 with free shipping. I didn't want to run an OS drive and a data drive as my wife primarily uses this particular desktop. I have a Asus Z68 P8Z68 V motherboard with a Core i5 2500k. 8gb of ram. The data drive is a WD Black 640gb hard drive.

I decided to use the intel smart response and use the OCZ drive as a cache drive. I backed up the computer, reinstalled windows and got everything working as intel provides in their manual. Now, when I reinstalled the launchpad, the computer does not backup to the server. it states, "An error prevented backup from creating a snapshot of the volumes on this computer. For more information about this issue, see the event logs on teh computer that you are backing up."

Anyone have any ideas. I know when you set up SSD Caching on Z68, you have to set the bios to raid. Can this be the problem? I chose the "Maximized" option on Intel software rather than the "enhanced" option. Could this be the issue?