RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace laptop HDD with SSD

WireBoy

Hey gurus, please excuse this noob, I'm new to the SSD game, looking for some quick advice...

I just ordered a Lenovo X120e laptop (new from Woot) along with 8GB RAM SODIMMs and a SanDisk 120GB SSD (both nicely priced from TigerDirect). I want to replace the platter drive with the SSD right away and was looking for suggestions on how to best execute that swap. Should I clone the drive or would it be better to create the system restore CDs/DVDs, swap the drives, and then do a restore. Or perhaps there are even better methods that you guys can recommend.

Discuss. As always, thanks.

Hey gurus, please excuse this noob, I'm new to the SSD game, looking for some quick advice...

I just ordered a Lenovo X120e laptop (new from Woot) along with 8GB RAM SODIMMs and a SanDisk 120GB SSD (both nicely priced from TigerDirect). I want to replace the platter drive with the SSD right away and was looking for suggestions on how to best execute that swap. Should I clone the drive or would it be better to create the system restore CDs/DVDs, swap the drives, and then do a restore. Or perhaps there are even better methods that you guys can recommend.

Discuss. As always, thanks.

I have done this several times and here is what I have done. I have installed Acronis on to the laptop and used a USB external case where I installed the SSD and ran the clone program. Alternatively, you can remove the laptop and bring it to a desktop that has two spare sata controllers. Put the SSD in one, and the laptop drive in the other. Run Acronis and clone the laptop drive to the SSD. When you are done, install the SSD and you are good to go. Whatever software you use, make sure it is compatible with SSD's.

I was also wondering if the restore option might provide the benefit of removing the factory restore partition, saving precious SSD space.

Typically the restore partition is 1-2 gigs any many will not boot without it. My suggestion is you clone or do a fresh install. The drives for the motherboard should be readily available. YOu can also do a restore but it will put the partition back in. The upside is it will be free. A bit more work but no cost. As for which version, the standard true image home 2012 will be fine.

I have successfully used Paragon Migrate OS to SSD on several Windows 7 laptops and can recommend it for that application.

I should mention that when I attempted to move my WHS 2011 to SSD, Paragon Migrate had some issues and I was forced to use Acronis True Image.

I tried Paragon a couple times and had issues as well not to mention it is not the most user friendly software I have ever seen. Thanks.