RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS, 2 drives, one failed and I lost data even with duplication on

NOTORIOUS VR

Can anyone explain why?

I thought with folder duplication on windows was supposed to make sure it had enough space on either drive to hold a copy of everything w/ duplication turned on. Yet when one drive completely died I lost a TON of data.

I suppose that having more drives might be more of a failure point in the mechanical sense, but also might allow more data to be duplicated? What say ye?

My last config was 1TB Seagate (the one that died) and a 1.5TB WD Green. Had around 850Gb free w/ both drives alive.

I picked up a 2GB WD Green to replace the dead Seagate, but am weary and would like to add another 500GB WD that I have kicking around hoping for more "backup" redundancy I guess.

This is very unusual and have never seen this happen. Duplication is folder lever level only. Are you saying you lost "folders" that where duplicated?

Yes... let me explain...

The shares are still there, as are the folders/directories that used to hold the missing files/data... but much of the data is lost... mainly older data (from when I first build the WHS) but also some newer stuff is gone.

For example my personal folder which is set to use folder duplication:

\\server_name\Users\username

The folder/directory structure is still in place.... but inside the folders there will be missing data/files... When WHS still knew about the bad drive (it was still listed in the drive panel but marked as missing) the files "looked" as if there were still there physically, but you could not access them. You would get an error along the lines of "Item no longer available"

But as soon as I removed/deleted the dead drive from the drive panel the files were now completely missing and that was that.

Adding in the new 2TB drive and letting WHS work it's magic to add it to the DE array did nothing for me. The data seems forever lost.

I'm quite surprised at this, I really thought it would be harder to loose data then that.

Wow. That is pretty strange. Just for kicks, did you try and remove the drive and hook to a stand alone PC to see if you can extract out the data?

I did, and unfortunately it doesn't even get recognized by the BIOS so I can't even POST... even tried the freezer trick (the drive spins up so I thought it would be worth a shot), nada.

I have been searching for a few days now to see if anyone has delt with the same or even remotely similar situation but also came up with nothing.

At this point I will chalk it up to a lesson learned and will backup my most precious of data to other drives outside of the WHS box.

But, maybe this will be a warning to other WHS and DE users that think folder duplication will save their asses... as with anything computers... if it can fail, make sure you have a backup of the backup :)

1) you should never consider folder duplication as a substitute for a good backup. It's part of basic backup strategy to have a backup off site.

2) I would SpinRite that drive, just to see if it can get you enough access to rescue your files. You really have nothing to lose at this point.

I did, and unfortunately it doesn't even get recognized by the BIOS so I can't even POST... even tried the freezer trick (the drive spins up so I thought it would be worth a shot), nada.

I have been searching for a few days now to see if anyone has delt with the same or even remotely similar situation but also came up with nothing.

At this point I will chalk it up to a lesson learned and will backup my most precious of data to other drives outside of the WHS box.

But, maybe this will be a warning to other WHS and DE users that think folder duplication will save their asses... as with anything computers... if it can fail, make sure you have a backup of the backup :)

Good point. DE is certainly not a backup and neither is RAID. Critical data needs to be backed up preferably in more than one spot. I have been where you are and that is why I have an insane backup strategy. Hopefully others will heed the warning. Sorry to hear about your troubles I feel your pain.

http://thedocsworld.net/backup-strategy/

2) I would SpinRite that drive, just to see if it can get you enough access to rescue your files. You really have nothing to lose at this point.

Unfortunately like I said above, even the BIOS doesn't see the drive... the PC just hangs during POST.

Good point. DE is certainly not a backup and neither is RAID. Critical data needs to be backed up preferably in more than one spot. I have been where you are and that is why I have an insane backup strategy. Hopefully others will heed the warning. Sorry to hear about your troubles I feel your pain.

http://thedocsworld....ackup-strategy/

Very true... thanks for your link... you have a nice backup plan for sure... well done!

Unfortunately like I said above, even the BIOS doesn't see the drive... the PC just hangs during POST.

My bad; missed that. Maybe you can RMA the drive?

My bad; missed that. Maybe you can RMA the drive?

you know what, that was a great idea.. I was going to write off the drive and trash it.. but it actually does still have warranty!