RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Tinkering w/ V1 & Thumbdrive

mailman1988

In my Homebuild of V1 I have maxed out all my SATA ports. All is running good. However, my boot time is almost 7 mins. I was thinking that, What if I cloned my Boot drive to a Thumb drive and made it my new boot device. Then change the boot sequence to the Thumb drive, Deactivate c:? and then run it.

Will this work?

From the bench marks I've run, the Thumb drive would out perform the HD, enough to make it worth the effort.

The best would be to use an SSD, however, I have no more SATA ports to use and don't want to Muck things up by installing a card w/ more ports when an Thumb drive is cheap alternative.

Can I do this?

Will I mess up my drive pool?

What steps do I need to do to "Hide" my current C drive?

Thanks

Edited by cskenney
admin discretion

The one thought that struck me is that you might find your USB stick wearing out quite quickly. SSDs pretty much all have wear levelling these days. I don't know of a USB stick that has it.

*Update* I just found this post on a forum; it seems to answer the question pretty definitively:

I just got the following answer from Kingston (as said before, I have a

TwinMOS memory stick, but I contacted Kingston because they seem to

have a good hotline):

yes, the Datraveler, like most of the USB flash devices uses wear

levveling technology.

So, it seems you should be good to go, at least with Kingston sticks anyway :)

The drive I bought was a 32G HP 165w (aka PNY). As per MFG it has a 8m/s write and 25m/s reads.

I got the impression from Kingston's response that most, if not all, modern flash drives have built-in wear-levelling. Thanks to your question I've learned a new, useful piece of info.

I'm curious what SATA drive - or even IDE drive - you are using that is outperformed by a USB thumb drive. 25MB/sec reads may beat spindles for very small files but I'd be very surprised if WHS booted faster off of one. Even a USB3 thumb drive.

I'm curious what SATA drive - or even IDE drive - you are using that is outperformed by a USB thumb drive. 25MB/sec reads may beat spindles for very small files but I'd be very surprised if WHS booted faster off of one. Even a USB3 thumb drive.

Good point.