RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Changing the NAME of a Share

GDog

It is hard to search on this because the words are so common. I want to change the NAMES of several of my v1 Shares but I do not want to screw anything up in doing so. I have searched on this topic for hours (Google, Bing and several WHS Forums) but cannot find a definitive answer. Can I change the names of my Shares at will? Does it matter whether it is a Share that I created or one of the Default shares? I would sure appreciate some advice from someone who knows the answer or who has taken the risk to have done this.

Thanks so much,

-GDog

The wizard does this for you because the average user hasn't got a clue about Shares and Permissions. You can use the default or create your own. The easiest way I have ever explained this is:

Shares can be compared to riding down a street and seeing all the house (Shares). Permissions allow you to go into the House. Shares, you can grant full access to see the share, but only those with "file permissions" can go into the Share.

Create your own or use the default. Don't forget to use the Libraries to include newly created Shared Folders in that hierarchy. (2011 only)

Thanks guys! Sorry about ignoring the topic I started. I am not getting email notification for some reason, so I thought * I * was being ignored.

So ... consensus is: Safe on the shares I created. Not safe on the Default Shares. Would that be right? I really want ed to play around with the Default names also, but I guess I could live with just the created ones if it isn't safe. Has anyone actually changed the Default Share Names with no problems?

Default shares are just fine for inside your LAN. Custom Shares need to be locked down (if you desire) with custom permissions. Remember, Permissions allow entry into the Share; Sharing a folder means people can see it, not necessarily get into it,

Thanks guys! Sorry about ignoring the topic I started. I am not getting email notification for some reason, so I thought * I * was being ignored.

So ... consensus is: Safe on the shares I created. Not safe on the Default Shares. Would that be right? I really want ed to play around with the Default names also, but I guess I could live with just the created ones if it isn't safe. Has anyone actually changed the Default Share Names with no problems?

I would agree that that is the general concensus. I think it's mostly based on the fact that messing with things like that has caused issues in other MS systems in the past, so better to be safe than sorry. That said, if you're willing to create a test setup and try it, I'm sure we would all love to know the outcome (hint hint) :)