RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Shoop

Need to update wireless network and need advice

Shoop

I currently have a linksys wrt54g router and three wap54g access points running in my house. The biggest problem is that the waps will only work with the wrt54g using WEP. I have been running this for a while but would like to use better security. The network is really old and has served me well but would feel better with tighter security.

I have been looking at the linksys e4200v2 along with either the wap610n or wes610n but have heard the these suffer from the same issue. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Any other recommendations?

jmwills

See what firmware updates are available before you spend any money.

pcdoc

I currently have a linksys wrt54g router and three wap54g access points running in my house. The biggest problem is that the waps will only work with the wrt54g using WEP. I have been running this for a while but would like to use better security. The network is really old and has served me well but would feel better with tighter security.

I have been looking at the linksys e4200v2 along with either the wap610n or wes610n but have heard the these suffer from the same issue. Anyone have any experience with this setup?

Any other recommendations?

The DIR-655 is great product that you can usually get on sale. It is kind of a pillar product and is used by many in the forums.

ikon

My suggestion would be to get a router on which you can run Tomato or DD-WRT. A colleague just today told me he bought a Buffalo Nfinity router and that it actually came pre-loaded with DD-WRT.

KrisseZ

Care to be a bit more specific what you are looking for? A router and 3 simple wlan APs? Or something more specific?

Commodore

It sounds like you are using the WAP54Gs as bridges; is that correct? I had my brother set up with WPA2 on an older WRT54G and WET54G Bridge (must be version 2 to support WPA2) without any major issues other than the occasional disconnect. Provided all the adaptors support WPA2 it should just work.

I eventually switched him over to Ethernet power line adaptors which gave somewhat better speed and apparently improved reliability as he has never reported a disconnect.

Running WEP is effectively running without security since there are tools that can break it faster than it takes to type in the password.

WPA2 with a strong password is considered very secure so long as WPS, which was recently cracked, is disabled. You may wish to avoid Linksys altogether or run Tomato or DD-WRT due the apparent inability to disable WPS in the current Linksys firmware. The latest information I have seen shows that Linksys devices continue to respond to WPS queries even with the feature disabled in the UI!

ikon

You may wish to avoid Linksys altogether or run Tomato or DD-WRT due the apparent inability to disable WPS in the current Linksys firmware. The latest information I have seen shows that Linksys devices continue to respond to WPS queries even with the feature disabled in the UI!

Correct; neither tomato nor DD-WRT support WPS at all, so they're completely safe to use on Linksys routers that support them. Also, WPA is perfectly safe to use as well; just use it with AES instead of TKIP, which has a minor, but real, weakness.