RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing system drive, but iTunes hidden folder too big...

flyboyco

I know most of you aren't iTunes users, but maybe someone has run into this issue. I am getting ready to install a SSD in my main desktop. I am trying to get the system drive small enough to fit on a 120gb. This is usually pretty easy, but my user folder was still too large. I finally found a hidden folder that is too big. Gotta love iTunes! It is buried under users, my user name, AppData, Roaming, Apple Computer. This folder is 30gb on its own. have any one been able to successfully move it to another drive and have iTunes locate it, or is it going to be stuck on my system driver?

My family has 6 ios devices that we use, so eliminating iTunes is just not an option.

Keith

You should be able to install any program at a location other than the default, not recommended, but it can be done. There are several threads in the foums about reducing the mandatory 160 gig requirements down to something lower. Seem to remember most everyone was using 120 gig drives.

Thanks for your response. The problem is that I am trying to downsize the one I am using now, then restore to the ssd from whs.

Any thoughts on how to move the existing folder?

keith

After you do the install of your OS, map the properties of you music library to another drive or to your server, install iTunes, and all will be well. You never install iTunes Data library on a SSD. Click "start", click on your personal user icon on the right. Right click on "Music" select properties. Click on the "location" tab an click to "Move" the location to wherever you want.

I thought the question was an internal folder to ITunes. Agreed, route the date files off to another partiton and include that file location in the Music Library.

jmwills and pcdoc,

Thanks for the followup. jmwills, you are correct. I already store all my iTunes media (150gb) on the WHS, but the issue is the huge 30gb folder that iTunes puts in my "c:\users" folder.

pcdoc,

Thanks for the insite on moving those folders like you mentioned. I didn't know i could move them. I had always done a cut and paste then had to change the target. Makes much more sense to have windows handle the migration.

What happens if I uncheck the "hidden" check box and move the AppData folder the same way? Already sounds like a bad idea...

-keith

Edited by flyboyco

You probably have your iTunes Library in that folder.

You can move this to a spinning drive without issue

The same folder on my PC is 278kb

Renny,

Thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned it, I decided I had better check. This is the break-down of the bulk of the 30gb.

• In the hidden Apple Computer folder:
    • iTunes
      • Mobile backups - 15gb

[*]Mobile Sync

• Backup - 13gb.

I guess it's all backups, so maybe I'm stuck with it. We have 6 ios devices (3-iPhones, 3 iPads).

-keith

Has anyone used "Junction" off the technet page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx ?

I just found that there is a tool called Junction that creates an NTFS symbolic link between a “pseudo folder” and another folder that can be located on another drive. This means that “pseudo folder” will “fool” iTunes into thinking backup folder on the other drive is actually located where the ”pseudo folder” resides.

Renny,

Thanks for the reply. Since you mentioned it, I decided I had better check. This is the break-down of the bulk of the 30gb.

• In the hidden Apple Computer folder:
    • iTunes
      • Mobile backups - 15gb

[*]Mobile Sync

• Backup - 13gb.

I guess it's all backups, so maybe I'm stuck with it. We have 6 ios devices (3-iPhones, 3 iPads).

-keith

I would do the following. Of course, backup first.

1. "Move all data files as describes above (data, music, photo, etc)(All user properties. Do not just move the music folder, but "everything" that appears in the user properties.

2. Kill indexing on the SSD

3. Delete the backups of the IOS devices in iTunes

4. Remove iTunes

5. Move your temp Variables to spindle drive

6. Re-Install iTunes and rerun the backups

That should free up all the space you need off the SSD. If it where me, I would do a fresh install, do steps 1, 2, 5 first and install my software. If you really want to be safe, iTunes should be installed on the spindle drive altogether.

It sounds like you did not set up the SSD completely before porting all your software over. Good Luck.