RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP N40L build

jazzerjay

New topic for those who bought the N40L. Initially, I'll be installing multiple OS versions. Starting off with diagnostics from the HP Smartstart 8.7 CD. I think Joe is right, this is going to be fun. But I can't spend much time "playing around", my EX485 is giving weird errors and it's only a matter of time. (last backups were all good though).

Currently running 5 loops testing everything.

It's amazing reading the blogs in Britian and Austrailia where folks have been snapping those machines up and doing some pretty interesting/fun things. Keep us posted on what you're doing and discovering.

Tests passed without issue but I'm having trouble getting additional RAM installed. There's a cable that I simply can't get out. I'll get the pictures uploaded later today. Again the bell tolls and the task master is reminding me to do actual work today.

I know which one. I had the same problem. I used a precision flat blade screwdriver to bend the housing out a little bit. It's those locking tabs that won't release. I thought I was going to yank it off the motherboard!

Erik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I know which one. I had the same problem. I used a precision flat blade screwdriver to bend the housing out a little bit. It's those locking tabs that won't release. I thought I was going to yank it off the motherboard!

Erik

I just heaved a HUGE sigh of relief! I thought it was just me. On HP server DL and ML server builds I've had issues with cases and internal parts but have always been able to beat them into submission. This little guy though had me rethinking my methods. Lifting the server up off the work area via this cable can't be good at all. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can leave early today?

I just heaved a HUGE sigh of relief! I thought it was just me. On HP server DL and ML server builds I've had issues with cases and internal parts but have always been able to beat them into submission. This little guy though had me rethinking my methods. Lifting the server up off the work area via this cable can't be good at all. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can leave early today?

Ha! I felt the same way too! I mean, come one, its just a cable! I spent an hour or so fiddling with it and after studying it more closely, I noticed that the two little locking tabs weren't releasing no matter how hard I pressed on the release tab thingy. :rolleyes:

two little locking tabs

These are on the side of the clip or the "front"? I'm thinking I need more light to actually find these little buggers. I do have a 15lb sledge hammer in case I can't find clips.

On the right side or broadside. They're right below the the tab you depress on the cable.

Edit: Here's a photo where you can see the two notches the tabs lock into.

aefbfde1-a5f2-1b6d.jpg

Erik

Edited by texasPI
  • Like 1

Great photo.

Yep, I had the same issue with that clip, no matter how hard I pressed on the clip, it would not release. You could check out the livestream video of the preshow podcast I did with Jim, #167, I brought this up. I did what texasPI did.

Also there are a couple of tabs that hold the motherboard from sliding out. When you release the 2 thumb screws, the motherboard will slide out about 4 inches, then stop. It took a bit of fiddling to get it out.

http://www.livestrea...medium=ui-thumb check around 27 minutes into the video.

• Like 1

Great photo.

Yep, I had the same issue with that clip, no matter how hard I pressed on the clip, it would not release. You could check out the livestream video of the preshow podcast I did with Jim, #167, I brought this up. I did what texasPI did.

Also there are a couple of tabs that hold the motherboard from sliding out. When you release the 2 thumb screws, the motherboard will slide out about 4 inches, then stop. It took a bit of fiddling to get it out.

http://www.livestrea...medium=ui-thumb check around 27 minutes into the video.

Ornery little sucker, ain't it? :)