RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
texasPI

Must have pfSense packages?

ikon

Hi ikon,

I am sorry because I think I am the one making myself clear so yes we start over on what I use. First of I don't use my ISP mail server for email because I have a company lets call it xyz company and I have registered the xyz company with a domain name of xyz.com threw a domain registry for that domain and they have gave email service as well so in order for me to send and receive email I need to use the following setting, for incoming mail I use pop.xyz.com and for outgoing I use smtp.xyz.com. Further moor I have even tried to use the built in smtp mail server in untangle and that does not require any login settings and that does not work either, Heck the email setting I am trying to use in Untangle I am using in my FiOs router and in RocketRaid for notifications and they work fine. I am convinced Untangle is broke but I hope I am clear now.

Thanks for trying to help.

OK, that helps. It's your own email domain. Now, what ports are you using for pop3 and smtp in Outlook? Besides the smtp.mydomain.com, did your ISP tell you to use something other than the default ports of 110 and 25 (usually only port 25 is blocked).

If you have a business internet account, you might not have the port 25 restriction. However, if you have a normal residential type account, it's a good bet your ISP is blocking port 25. It's quite normal these days. They usually provide an alternative port instead, such as 587. If your ISP is blocking port 25, and has an alternative to use, UT does have the ability to use it.

geek-accountant

I used to have Untangle send me daily e-mails. I need to set it up again and see how I got it working.

ikon

Yeah. I have my own email server on my LAN, so I don't have the issue. If I have time I might try configuring for my ISP email account (which I never use :) ) as a test.

itGeeks
name='ikon' timestamp='1346858917' post='46083']

Yeah. I have my own email server on my LAN, so I don't have the issue. If I have time I might try configuring for my ISP email account (which I never use :) ) as a test.[/b]

Hi ikon,

Thanks for trying to help me with this. I was thinking of setting up my own email server and many other things in WHS 2011 but never got around to it, Could I ask you what email server you are running on your lan? As for ports being blocked by my ISP, No everything works fine threw Microsoft Outlook in Office so nothing is blocked for email. pcdoc stated he had the same trouble and ended up using 1and1.com in Untangle for the email so I have to believe Untangle is very picky about the email portion and hence is hit and miss of what works and does not.

Edited by Mr Fixit

jmwills

I'd almost bet your ISP is blocking Port 25. Gmail, Hotmail, etc do not use Port 25 for outbound traffic.

itGeeks

I used to have Untangle send me daily e-mails. I need to set it up again and see how I got it working.

Hi Mike,

Please let me know how you got it working. Do you know of any free smtp servers that are good that I can install on my server to make this work?

I'd almost bet your ISP is blocking Port 25. Gmail, Hotmail, etc do not use Port 25 for outbound traffic.

No my ISP is not blocking me because I am able to send mail threw outlook in office without a problem and no I am not talking about outlook.com. My domain provider uses port 2525 for outgoing email and I use that in my RAID software on my lane without any trouble every day.

itGeeks

If anyone is able to tell me what email server there running on there lan other than Microsoft Exchange server I would be grateful, Also if anyone knows of a good free smtp server that there using on there internal lan for sending email I would be grateful. Now I am on a mission to get this working with Untangle, I mean this is email 101 and I am not stupid to this easy stuff but for some reason Untangle will not send email. I have to believe at this point that either Untangle is broke or Untangle is looking for an internal mail server that I don't have.

Edited by Mr Fixit

jmwills

Outlook is an application, not a mail server. 2525 is not the same as 25. Just trying to keep everything straight.

I think ikon was using hMailServer at one point. You can get Exchange to work on your network if Port 25 is being blocked by creating a mail connector to your ISP.

itGeeks

Outlook is an application, not a mail server. 2525 is not the same as 25. Just trying to keep everything straight.

I think ikon was using hMailServer at one point. You can get Exchange to work on your network if Port 25 is being blocked by creating a mail connector to your ISP.

jmwills,

I Understand what you are saying and I agree with you 100 percent, I am not trying to be rude in anyway and I am grateful for everyone trying to help me with this but I am not new to networks and email, I do understand the difference between client aka outlook and server aka Exchange all I am trying to say is I have been using the same setting that I am trying to use in Untangle across multiple application that send me notification as well as my daily email everyday without a problem, I have to believe that Untangle just does not want to work in my environment for some reason or Untangle is broke. As far as the ports go, I understand port 110 and port 25 are standard for email but my domain provider uses port 2525 for smtp out going email but should not be a problem because Untangle allows you to change the port. Thanks for trying to help

Edited by Mr Fixit

jmwills

Not a problem.....you might want to see if there is a way to telnet from the unTangle Server using Port 2525. I forget all the details within the Networking Tab, that may or may not be available.