RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
texasPI

Must have pfSense packages?

itGeeks

Micheal....this old man doesn't do UPnP! Thanks for the heads up though.

jmwills, I know what you mean about not using UPnP but in till Microsoft and Sony figure out we don't want UPnP in order to run gaming consoles I think we are stuck. I think I was able to get the XBoxes setup and working using a bypass filter in Untangle though the XBoxes do show moderate NAT, They do seem to be working fine now. Thanks for your input.

itGeeks

As no-control said, Untangle does not do uPnP, which is one of the reasons I like it. It's not a problem for me because I don't have any Xboxes. I'm not sure if there are ways to get around the uPnP requirement with Xbox or not but, if there are, I would pursue them. AFAIC, uPnP is one of the worst security holes there is.

Hi ikon,

Thanks for the info and I know what you mean. I did creat bypass rules in Untangle for the XBoxes and thought Xbox still screams moderate NAT everything does seem to be working well at this point. I really am glad I installed Untangle and like it allot over pfSense.

geek-accountant

Hi everyone, Sorry I have not had time to post and thank everyone for there input to my qwestion. Mike what version of Untangle are you running? I am using build 9.3.0 and the reports and everything about untangle just rocks in my humble apinion coming from pfSense. Sorry everyone I have a weakness for trying new things and I am glade I installed untangle since my last post :)

I am running 9.2.1 What reports are you talking about? The one's it e-mails you or the ones on the Reports page? They have some decent reports, I just prefer the real time reporting of pfSense. Untangle doesn't have good real time reports but it does have good static reports. Wish they had a montly report rather than just the daily reports. Of course they may, I just haven't spent enough time to figure out if it is a setting I can change.

Well that didn't take long. Just found the setting for getting monthly reports on Untangle.

jmwills

It can be hard to find all the good stuff at times. But for free....not too bad.

itGeeks

I am running 9.2.1 What reports are you talking about? The one's it e-mails you or the ones on the Reports page? They have some decent reports, I just prefer the real time reporting of pfSense. Untangle doesn't have good real time reports but it does have good static reports. Wish they had a montly report rather than just the daily reports. Of course they may, I just haven't spent enough time to figure out if it is a setting I can change.

Well that didn't take long. Just found the setting for getting monthly reports on Untangle.

Hi Mike,

Glad you found it and like you just found out its disabled by default.

pcdoc

They also added real time graphs for those of us who stare at the admin console. Novelty, but interesting to review once in a while. 9.3 is a nice upgrade at least for me. It is faster and of course my favorite feature, the full tunneling.

itGeeks

They also added real time graphs for those of us who stare at the admin console. Novelty, but interesting to review once in a while. 9.3 is a nice upgrade at least for me. It is faster and of course my favorite feature, the full tunneling.

Hi pcdoc,

I am very new too Untangle and that's y I had asked geek-accountant what version of Untangle he was using because like you I thought the real time graphs and the reports where grate. I find Untangle a major improvement over pfSense and the speed that my network runs like now is awesome over using pfSense, I thought maybe it was my imagination but as soon as I installed Untangle my family ran up to me and asked what do I do to the network and I went ooops, y are you asking and they said its seems much faster now so at that point I new it was not just me and it is faster and that could been that I just had something goofed up in pfSense but either way I like everything about Untangle better so I am sticking with it.

I do have two problems though and not Shure what's what so I will throw it out here, 1st is no matter what I do I cant get the email reports test to work, It says it sent the test email check my inbox but I never get it and at first I thought Untangle was blocking my email but I can send email threw outlook in office 2013 from my internal lan behind Untangle without a problem, My hosted domain provider uses port 2525 and not 25 so I also testing it with live.com smtp settings for my outlook.com email and same thing, it says sent but I never get it, I then tried Google gmail smtp setting for my gmail email and same thing, it says sent but I never get it so I am thinking now that email reports is broke but would like someone on the same new version to confirm and if it works to please tell me what I am doing wrong. The 2nd thing I would like to know is for the vpn, are you using the default setting for the ip of 127.x.x.x and is your lan on that segment as well or is your lan on a different segment and everything seems to just work? The reason I am asking is because I can vpn just fine on the tunnel and I checked using whatsmyip.com and I am definitely logged in but my launch pad for the server says offline and I cant see my files on the Windows server 2012 essentials. So I guess what I am asking is without getting personal because I am NOT a hacker but rather trying to learn an aria that I have not dealt with and that is setting up vpn is should the vpn segment be the same or completely different then my internal lan segment aka best practices,Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give me.

Edited by Mr Fixit

ikon

Beat me to the punch :D BTW, you can also get Weekly Reports.

ikon

Hi pcdoc,

I am very new too Untangle and that's y I had asked geek-accountant what version of Untangle he was using because like you I thought the real time graphs and the reports where grate. I find Untangle a major improvement over pfSense and the speed that my network runs like now is awesome over using pfSense, I thought maybe it was my imagination but as soon as I installed Untangle my family ran up to me and asked what do I do to the network and I went ooops, y are you asking and they said its seems much faster now so at that point I new it was not just me and it is faster and that could been that I just had something goofed up in pfSense but either way I like everything about Untangle better so I am sticking with it.

I do have two problems though and not Shure what's what so I will throw it out here, 1st is no matter what I do I cant get the email reports test to work, It says it sent the test email check my inbox but I never get it and at first I thought Untangle was blocking my email but I can send email threw outlook in office 2013 from my internal lan behind Untangle without a problem, My hosted domain provider uses port 2525 and not 25 so I also testing it with live.com smtp settings for my outlook.com email and same thing, it says sent but I never get it, I then tried Google gmail smtp setting for my gmail email and same thing, it says sent but I never get it so I am thinking now that email reports is broke but would like someone on the same new version to confirm and if it works to please tell me what I am doing wrong. The 2nd thing I would like to know is for the vpn, are you using the default setting for the ip of 127.x.x.x and is your lan on that segment as well or is your lan on a different segment and everything seems to just work? The reason I am asking is because I can vpn just fine on the tunnel and I checked using whatsmyip.com and I am definitely logged in but my launch pad for the server says offline and I cant see my files on the Windows server 2012 essentials. So I guess what I am asking is without getting personal because I am NOT a hacker but rather trying to learn an aria that I have not dealt with and that is setting up vpn is should the vpn segment be the same or completely different then my internal lan segment aka best practices,Thanks for any help you or anyone else can give me.

The email reports can be a bit tricky to set up. I don't recall everything I did; I'm just confirming to you that you're not alone; others have issues with it too.

One thing to check. Are you entering the actual URL for your email server, such as smtp.mailserver1.verizon.az.com ???

geek-accountant

Hi pcdoc,

Not sure what the issue was with pfSense, but it should be the other way around. pfSense should be faster than Untangle. Both in latency and in throughput. On the same hardware, pfSense can push through a lot more traffic than Untangle. Of course Untangle and pfSense are not exactly the same and the packages you are running can make a big difference. If you ran SNORT on pfSense and didn't give it enough resources, that could cause speed issues.

Right now, I am averaging 7.71ms ping with only pfSense. Add Untangle and that number goes up to 22ms. I actualy like both pfSense and Untangle, which is why I run both.